Review Gigabyte M27QP QHD 170 Hz Gaming Monitor Review: Blistering Performance and Lots of Color

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
In 2012 I built a PC with an nVidia GeForce GTX 690 video card.
USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SATA III, DDR3 memory, 120GB SSD, etc.
It runs a 27" monitor at 1080p, 8-bits, 60Hz.

I can't believe PCs have advanced so little in 10 and 1/2 years.

I guess when PCs have moved up to USB 4 and PCIe 4, DDR 4... I'll be ready to upgrade.
If it will run a 4k, 10-bits, 120Hz monitor (80 Gb/s).
I guess that will be in 2024? 2025? I hope I don't have to wait until 2026.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
In 2012 I built a PC with an nVidia GeForce GTX 690 video card.
USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, SATA III, DDR3 memory, 120GB SSD, etc.
It runs a 27" monitor at 1080p, 8-bits, 60Hz.

I can't believe PCs have advanced so little in 10 and 1/2 years.

I guess when PCs have moved up to USB 4 and PCIe 4, DDR 4... I'll be ready to upgrade.
If it will run a 4k, 10-bits, 120Hz monitor (80 Gb/s).
I guess that will be in 2024? 2025? I hope I don't have to wait until 2026.

What on earth are you rambling about? None of what you said has any relevance to this monitor.

Can I call you a cab to take you home?

Reactions: Makaveli

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Fair point... I guess it was off topic.
My "ramble" was trying to say, "170Hz QHD... so what". I was trying to put that in context.

Makes more sense.

The 170hz is the big deal. It wasn't until fairly recent that monitors moved above 144hz which was a big deal. IIRC there are monitors that go above that but you are getting into build multiple computers for the price territory.

As for resolutions, 4K isn't really that prevalent, at least not with high refresh rate and affordable prices mainly because most cards until this Gen simply could barely get triple digits at 1440 in AAA titles.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Makes more sense.

The 170hz is the big deal. It wasn't until fairly recent that monitors moved above 144hz which was a big deal. IIRC there are monitors that go above that but you are getting into build multiple computers for the price territory.

As for resolutions, 4K isn't really that prevalent, at least not with high refresh rate and affordable prices mainly because most cards until this Gen simply could barely get triple digits at 1440 in AAA titles.

I absolutely agree with you.

I'm expressing an emotional impatience with how slowly PC technology has advanced over the last 10 years.
I'm kind of the opposite of a lot of people who want future technology to support old technology standards.
I think Apple is good at getting rid of the old and moving more quickly to new technology.
I occasionally will attach a 4k Samsung TV to my 10-year-old PC just to get a feel of the experience. It is very cool. Unfortunately, on my 10-year-old PC 4k-video runs at 30Hz, 8-bit.

Oh... I just rambled aimlessly again... my bad.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I absolutely agree with you.

I'm expressing an emotional impatience with how slowly PC technology has advanced over the last 10 years.
I'm kind of the opposite of a lot of people who want future technology to support old technology standards.
I think Apple is good at getting rid of the old and moving more quickly to new technology.
I occasionally will attach a 4k Samsung TV to my 10-year-old PC just to get a feel of the experience. It is very cool. Unfortunately, on my 10-year-old PC 4k-video runs at 30Hz, 8-bit.

Oh... I just rambled aimlessly again... my bad.

Moore's Law is dead, has been for a while unfortunately.

Wimpers

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
Moore's Law is dead, has been for a while unfortunately.

What did you expect? We can't keep cramming more and more transistors on the same space and/or ramp up the frequency, there actually are physical constraints to about everything.
We haven't reached them yet when it comes to storage capacity and perhaps memory and network or bus speeds but for a lot of other things only parallelisation is an option but this is not possible everywhere and sometime requires a redesign and adds some overhead.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
What did you expect? We can't keep cramming more and more transistors on the same space and/or ramp up the frequency, there actually are physical constraints to about everything.
We haven't reached them yet when it comes to storage capacity and perhaps memory and network or bus speeds but for a lot of other things only parallelisation is an option but this is not possible everywhere and sometime requires a redesign and adds some overhead.

Congrats?

I know that, I was explaining to OP why he feels that PC components haven't evolved further than they thought by now.