Question (Gigabyte Mobo) system won't post

fael097

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi, I have a ryzen 7 1800x/980ti system on a ga-ax370-gaming k3 mobo, and all of a sudden it won't post. No display, nothing.

I opened it, dusted off everything, changed ram slots, changed gpu pcie slot, reapplied thermal paste to the CPU, tried a different ssd, nothing works.

There's a LED error code, the light that means CPU error stays on and blinks like every 5 seconds. The light that means DRAM error blinks on for a fraction of a second whenever the other light blinks off, and it repeats forever.

If I recall, the CPU error light turns on whenever I turn the system on, and then turns off when it posts. So perhaps it's not really a CPU error. It's less than 2 years old, cooled by a beefy noctua cooler, I'd be surprised if it died.

Ram is the same age, 2 16gb ballistix ddr4 sticks. I tried each of them on every slot and also didn't work.

I tried resetting the CMOS, no deal as well. And I don't have another system laying around to test individually every component. So I'm all out of ideas.

What could it be?

fael097

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
psu is the only "old" part I recycled from my old computer. it's a Corsair TX 750w, must be 9 years old by now, but I suppose it's working, as all the fans on my system spin and the LEDs turn on. could it be that the psu isn't sending enough power to the mobo or cpu?

fael097

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I tested a different PSU and nothing, same thing.

it's really down to the CPU/ram/mobo, but I don't have a am4 mobo or any ddr4 mobo that I could test the cpu and ram

fael097

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Ok so my friend had another x370 motherboard, except it's an Asus, so I managed to test all my components. Everything is working properly when I put it into his system, cpu, ram, gpu, storage drives, boot nvme, psu, everything. And when I put the components of his PC into my mobo, it didn't change anything, lights were blinking the same way.

So that pretty much narrows it down to the mobo. It's not dead as it turns on the fans and the lights, but it won't post. Could some of it's VRM have died? Can I test it somehow?

fael097

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Clear the bios.
Breadboard the system.
hey, thanks for answering.

if you mean clear the cmos, I already did that, no deal.
and I'm not sure what "breadboard the system" means.

I just stripped everything out of the case, set up an improvised workbench, connected only the psu, cpu/cooler and a system speaker to the motherboard. no ram, no gpu, no storage/boot, no external devices attached.
on turning on, the cooler fans spin, the CPU error light stays on, nothing happens, no beeps, no lights blinking, no other lights are on.
by adding a ram stick into any slot, the error lights behave like before, cpu error light stays on, blinks off every 5 seconds or so, DRAM error light blinks on whenever the cpu error light blinks off.
by adding a graphics card, and connecting it to a monitor, the MSI logo LED turn on properly, cooler fans spin, but no video output of any kind, screens stays black, nothing else in the system changes.
by adding either an ssd/nvme/hdd, nothing changes.

it's worth mentioning again that all the components were tested in other machines individually. cpu, psu, ram, graphics card, storage drives, monitor, everything is working properly.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS