Gigabyte mother board + GTX750ti + no bios access = black screen

Hardway

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
Hiya Tom's Hardware community,

I have read so many posts, tried a few things, read some more and throw in a few sleepless nights and I haven't progressed.

Machine specs basic overview.

Gigabyte Mother board. H77M-D3H
i7 intel 3.5GHz
64 Bit operating system
PSU 500watts
16GB ram
Graphics Card GTX750ti

Here's where I'm at
A couple of weeks back I upgraded the graphics card, installed latest Nvida drivers and uninstalled the HD4000 built in graphic drivers. New graphic card works great no real problems, except after the install the machine stopped quick starting. This slowly got to me and thought I would change a few settings.
Thought Id go into the BIOS and see what's going on and where I can tweak it.
Well I couldn't get access into the BIOS through any of the keys on start up (Del, F12 etc)
I remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS and I could perhaps could gain access to the BIOS. That didn't work either even after jumping it and or waiting a few hour before reinstalling the battery again.
Now the machine is starting and appears to be running ok as I get the GIGabyte Mother board screen but then the screen goes black and I still can't get access to the BIOS.
I feel there's a problem with the new graphics card talking with the mother board after I have reset the CMOS and as I previously uninstalled the driver for the built in graphics card I can't go past the black screen.

Any other thoughts on how I can move forward, its so frustrating when all I wanted to do was access the BIOS and change a few settings.

Thanks
Cain

Hardway

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
Funny that was almost going to add that detail in the first post.

USB keyboard plugged into the back Im not sure if it plugged into the USB3 port. I tried changing the USB port that the key board is plugged into but unfortunately at this point the PC is not recognising the hardware as it in a new port.
Wireless mouse mouse.

''uninstalled the HD4000 built in graphic drivers''

I don't think you needed to do this when you put the card in the on chip should auto disable or be turned off in the bios by switching it to pci-e

I've put 3 different cards in this one playing around and never had to uninstall the intel driver and have not found a conflict issue

Hardway

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
Well ive worked out how to fix the very painful problem.
I had to remove the Gtx card, access the BIOS and change the oprom setting to legacy. Refit the gtx card and install drivers.
Works great!!
After all the things tried, resetting the bios, upgrade the bios, reinstall windows 7 and many more things it works.
All came down to the boot settings easy really..... only when know what to do. Shame it wasnt in the destructions.