Gigabyte motherboard and RAM issues

JaffacakeUK

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Hi all

I've just upgraded the motherboard, CPU and RAM on my system but I'm getting what appears to be a memory issue.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 and has a handy little 2 digit LCD display which can indicate errors. When I boot the system all the fans start spinning fine and the LCD display rapidly whizzes through the boot codes. This goes on for 5 or 6 seconds and then stops at code 55. This is indicated in the manual as "Memory Failed to Initialize".

The memory I have installed is 16gb of Ballistix at 2400mhz. I double checked the Gigabyte website to check this was supported but it isn't - damn. I purchased 16gb of 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance which is stated as supported and tried that. Same issue! Code 55 blinking at me. The monitor, although on, was not displaying anything. No manufacturer's splash page, no BIOS info, nothing. Just 'dead'. I've reseated the memory seemingly countless times. Used different pairings in different channels ..... Nothing.

I attempted to Google this and some forum has indicated that the UD3 board WILL support the Vengeance memory but only when configured/overclocked. The UD3 board only natively supports 2133mhz memory. Allegedly. There's nothing of this in the manual supplied with the board. Nor did I find anything on the Gigabyte website.

Soooooo .... My questions are these:

1 - If I purchase even more memory at 2133mhz is it likely to work? Can anyone confirm that 2133 runs ok and 2400 doesnt?

2 - How can I configure 2400mhz memory if the system won't boot with it installed? I cant another even access the monitor display/BIOS.

3 - Why is there no information regarding memory speed in the manual or Gigabytes list of compatible memory?

4 - If I successfully install the 2133mhz memory, what's the likelihood of getting one of the sets of 2400mhz running? Or should I just get both sets on Ebay?

5 - If I can indeed eventually install the 2400mhz memory which would be the better set: Ballistix or Corsair?

I'm running an 850w PSU, GTX670 and an i5 7500 CPU. (don't laugh)

Thanks for reading.

Solution

Yes, exactly, if you can borrow one then great, or you can probably get a local computer shop to do it for a small fee, save paying out for a Sky Lake CPU, it literally takes 10 mins max.

Flash F20 first and then flash the newer bioses when you get your 7500 back in there.

JaffacakeUK

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Ok. I've cleared the CMOS as instructed by touching the terminals with a screwdriver as per the manual. Still nothing, error code 55 and I'm not getting anything on the monitor.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
Try 1 stick of RAM, I had this once on a Gigabyte Z87 motherboard, it would boot with 1 stick but not with 2, so I sent the board back and got a replacement, same thing happened with the replacement, turned out to be the CPU memory controller, Intel 4770K Haswell, thankfully that was under warranty and I also got that replaced, all fine after I got the new CPU, oh and by the way, same problem, same error code 55.

All RAM you install in your motherboard will boot at SPD, so if its DDR4 then it will boot at 2133mhz 1.2v if its DDR3 then it will boot at 1600mhz 1.35v until you go into the bios and configure it, so dont bother bying any more RAM, its the board or CPU.

JaffacakeUK

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Ok guys. I've Uninstalled the graphics card and am relying on the i5 on chip graphics. I've tested the monitor and cable.

I've booted with a single stick of 8g memory. In slots 1 & 3 there is no change. Error 55 and a boot loop. When the memory is in slots 2 & 4 I get a boot which is stable but no graphics and a new error code: 62 "installation of pch runtime services". It goes no further. Any ideas?

Reset BIOS again with the one stick in slot 2 or 4. The goal is to get into the BIOS. When you get in update the BIOS to the latest. If you can't get in keep trying other options until you can. It sounds like your MB needs a serious BIOS update or is faulty.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

the errror code although it looks like 62 is actually B2 "b2" a memory training code, make sure you have fastboot disabled in the bios, and also it could be something as simple as having your keyboard and/or mouse plugged into the USB3.0 / 3.1 ports, if you have black USB 2 ports, use those, unplug all other USB devices.

As alceryes says, get your bios flashed to the latest version.

JaffacakeUK

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks for all the good advice - I really appreciate it. Although I'm still having no luck.

I've been clearing the CMOS and moving the single stick of memory from slot to slot. But no change from my previous post.

Regarding the 62/b2 code - it's definitely a 6 not a b. However if Gigabytes Bs look like 6s I don't don't know! My B2 error code in the manual is 'legacy option rom initialization' but is a boot code not an error code.

My mouse/kb were both plugged into the correct ports so I doubt that's an issue thankfully.

So how likely is it to be the cpu? Unfortunately I can't test it. My other machine is an AMD/DDR3 set up.

Thanks again guys.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Which CPU is it, Intel Core i? ????? (core i7 7700K for instance) I couldnt see it in any of your posts.

Ahh just found it sorry, its an i5 7500 and the 7000 series CPU is Kaby Lake, the 170 series motherboard dont support Kaby out of the box, they need a bios update to support it, you need a 200 series motherboard or a Sky lake CPU to update the bios.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Ahh just found it sorry, its an i5 7500 and the 7000 series CPU is Kaby Lake, the 170 series motherboard dont support Kaby out of the box, they need a bios update to support it, you need a 200 series motherboard or a Sky lake CPU to update the bios.

have a look here under bios files, you need to have at least F20 on the board to run Kaby Lake based CPU, it will say on the side of the box which Bios the board comes with http://uk.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-UD3-rev-10#support-dl

JaffacakeUK

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
So.... If I understand correctly.. Get a Skylake in there. Boot to the BIOS. Update the BIOS. Reinstall the Kabylake. Boot to the BIOS again and configure the memory. And everything should work fine?

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Yes, exactly, if you can borrow one then great, or you can probably get a local computer shop to do it for a small fee, save paying out for a Sky Lake CPU, it literally takes 10 mins max.

Flash F20 first and then flash the newer bioses when you get your 7500 back in there.

Solution

JaffacakeUK

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
That makes sense. I'll give the local PC dealer a call and go from there. It seems like a very simple solution to a rather annoying problem.

I really do appreciate your help and patience regarding this. And everyone else's too! Thank you.

I have the solution so I can now get it sorted. You've made my week! Thanks again.