[SOLVED] gigabyte motherboard won't turn on

MishelxD

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
Hello everyone.
I've bought a cheap computer with a gigabyte ga-z68ap-d3 and with an i7 2600 everything worked (got as far as loading the windows and then i saw a blue screen but i think is a problem with the windows installation) i wanted to make it an mini home center computer for the tv but as i was cleaning it and replacing the case after I have installed it and connected everything I press the power button and nothing happened. I tested the cpu and the ram in a different computer and it all works but the motherboard feels like its a dead motherboard. i have few skills with electronics and i would like to get some help maybe this board could be saved because the other motherboard i own is an h61 also from gigabyte and its quite not reaching my needs.
if anyone could direct me to an area to look at I would really appreciate it
thanks to everyone

Solution
If you do not have a manual, download one.

Test your power supply by doing the paperclip test like THIS.

Take the motherboard out of the case and do your build on a sheet of cardboard on your desk. That way it is easy to see and connect all cables correctly and you will know that you do not have a short circuit to the case. Do each step carefully and no sodas or other liquids around when you boot up, which can be done by simply shorting the two motherboard power on pins with a metal object like a screwdriver.

RealBeast

Titan
If you do not have a manual, download one.

Test your power supply by doing the paperclip test like THIS.

Take the motherboard out of the case and do your build on a sheet of cardboard on your desk. That way it is easy to see and connect all cables correctly and you will know that you do not have a short circuit to the case. Do each step carefully and no sodas or other liquids around when you boot up, which can be done by simply shorting the two motherboard power on pins with a metal object like a screwdriver.

Reactions: MishelxD
Solution

MishelxD

Reputable
Nov 1, 2016
thanks for your reply.
ive checked with a few power supplies and after some time it started booting but with ram it keeps shutting off but when i pull the ram out it keeps on working(without shutting off)

RealBeast

Titan
upon testing the board i noticed that it sometimes work and sometimes doesn't in few ram combinations and i think its a problem with the motherboard
thanks for the help man much appreciated.
Happy to help.
Crazy as it sounds, I had not had a bad motherboard out of close to a thousand repairs and builds over the last 30 years until February when I did a new build and I RMA'd several parts until I finally determined it was the ASUS Z390 -- RMA'd that and all was good.