[SOLVED] Gigabyte Motherboard

terrencej31

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2012
Can anyone recommend any PCIe Thunderbolt 2 Cards like the
Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card that are compatible with the GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D Motherboard?

Long story short, I bought a Focusrite Clarett 8PreX Audio Interface which requires Thunderbolt 2. I purchased this motherboard which has Thunderbolt 3. I purchased the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter which was recommended but it did not work. I found out that the onboard Thunderbolt is not compatible with Focusrite.

I have read many success stories about the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card working with this Audio Interface. However I do not know if it is compatible with my motherboard.

So any suggestions on a PCIE card with Thunderbolt 2 that is compatible with the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Motherboard?

Thank You!

Solution
Thunderbolt is backwards compatible.
Thunderbolt 3 on your motherboard is terminated to what looks like a USB-C connection type, while your interface is Thunderbolt 1 or 2 and is terminated to what looks like a mini-displayPort connection type.
What you need is a Thunderbolt 2 (mini-displayPort) to thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter.
Less than 1.5' is recommended for maximum performance of the cable. Otherwise you'll need an active cable.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Thunderbolt is backwards compatible.
Thunderbolt 3 on your motherboard is terminated to what looks like a USB-C connection type, while your interface is Thunderbolt 1 or 2 and is terminated to what looks like a mini-displayPort connection type.
What you need is a Thunderbolt 2 (mini-displayPort) to thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) adapter.
Less than 1.5' is recommended for maximum performance of the cable. Otherwise you'll need an active cable.

Solution
Nov 8, 2020
G'Day Terrence, I'm interested in how you're progressing with this. I too have an 8PreX and have been looking at the Z490 Vision D.
I also have an Akitio T3T (TB3 to TB1/2) adaptor but haven't yet been able to try out.
The 8PreX is also sitting in its box unused, has been for some time while I've been researching motherboards....

Every time I think I'm close I find info to the contrary !

Anyway, I hope you're on a path to success :)
Certainly interested if that is the case