Question Gigabyte OC 4090 won’t display from HDMI on first boot.

Apr 19, 2023
So I’m trying to boot my PC up to the BIOS to install windows and everything and I can’t get my 4090 to display anything via the HDMI. I went all in on the rig itself and didn’t buy a monitor but I figured that my TV — an LG G1 — would be a heck of a display until I go out and get one.

It’s been a while since I’ve built a PC and a lot has changed so it took me some hours to figure out that the 4090 needs 4 PCIE cables fed through the included adapter. My last PC had a 1060 so the 4090 is a whole other monster that I wasn’t prepared for. Other than that, everything else boots and when the PC goes to sleep, it wakes again when I tap the keyboard so I know it’s working, it’s just not displaying anything. My TV recognizes when it boots and lets me know that a device is connected to whichever port it’s in.

Am I missing something? My only guess is that maybe I need to boot it through the DisplayPort on the Motherboard and configure something to output via the HDMI on the GPU. I don’t remember having to do that on my 1060. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a DisplayPort cable or a monitor to test if it’s an issue with the HDMI port. Again, it’s been like 7 years and a lot has changed. I thought I knew what I was doing. I suppose I don’t but it’s always good to learn something!

Here are my specs:

Intel 13900K
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z790.
Gigabyte 4090 OC
Samsung 990 Pro 2TB
Samsung 990 Pro 1TB
32Gb Corsair Vengeance 6200 DDR5
Seasonic Prime TX-1300 80+ Titanium

Please help 😭

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I've read Display Port 1 or HDMI.

However, I am in a similar boat with my 4090. I cannot see anything in the BIOS (or boot menu) unless I boot into UEFI from Windows Advanced Restart. Still haven't figured it out.

I might just put an old 1650 I have just for booting scenarios. Do you still have an old card to throw in to get you started?

Reactions: Killemwithkicks
D

Deleted member 2838871

iGPU? HDMI port on mobo?

The Core i9-13900K also supports PCI Express 5.0 and dual-channel DDR5 ECC memory at 5600 MHz. The Core i9-13900K features integrated Intel UHD 770 Graphics. Please note that a thermal solution is NOT included. This processor is backed by a 3-year warranty.

Apr 19, 2023
iGPU? HDMI port on mobo?

The Core i9-13900K also supports PCI Express 5.0 and dual-channel DDR5 ECC memory at 5600 MHz. The Core i9-13900K features integrated Intel UHD 770 Graphics. Please note that a thermal solution is NOT included. This processor is backed by a 3-year warranty.
No HDMI on the mobo only DP. I think im gonna have to wait until I have a monitor and DP cable to see if it’s maybe a bad HDMI port on the GPU. I’ve read that there is a firmware/driver issue that makes HDMI not work on some 4090’s so maybe that’s it.

Apr 19, 2023
I've read Display Port 1 or HDMI.

However, I am in a similar boat with my 4090. I cannot see anything in the BIOS (or boot menu) unless I boot into UEFI from Windows Advanced Restart. Still haven't figured it out.

I might just put an old 1650 I have just for booting scenarios. Do you still have an old card to throw in to get you started?
Unfortunately, I don’t! It’s very frustrating but I won’t give up. My only hope is to wait until I can get a monitor and DisplayPort cable and then use the DisplayPort on the motherboard to hopefully give me an image so I can boot it up and see what’s wrong. Fingers crossed.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Unfortunately, I don’t! It’s very frustrating but I won’t give up. My only hope is to wait until I can get a monitor and DisplayPort cable and then use the DisplayPort on the motherboard to hopefully give me an image so I can boot it up and see what’s wrong. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed but that's another thing I didn't mention. iGPU also has no video despite being enabled, DP and HDMI. Only started when I added the 4090.🤷 Motherboard is brand new but still same issue as with the old one.

Hopefully you have better luck. Be sure to follow up with your findings

Apr 19, 2023
Fingers crossed but that's another thing I didn't mention. iGPU also has no video despite being enabled, DP and HDMI. Only started when I added the 4090.🤷 Motherboard is brand new but still same issue as with the old one.

Hopefully you have better luck. Be sure to follow up with your findings
No luck. I tried the DisplayPort on my Motherboard as well as my GPU, and I even tried to boot it without the GPU and still nothing.

I’m confused and frustrated since nobody seems to have a solution to what seems to be a rather common problem when I look it up. So are you just not using yours?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
No luck. I tried the DisplayPort on my Motherboard as well as my GPU, and I even tried to boot it without the GPU and still nothing.

I’m confused and frustrated since nobody seems to have a solution to what seems to be a rather common problem when I look it up. So are you just not using yours?

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I need to reinstall or access the BIOS from a cold boot.
The only workaround outside of a cheapo pcie gpu would be install windows from a spare or friends computer and don't let it update. I might just throw a spare drive in an RAID it so I have a spare boot drive.

This is such a stupid problem to have, especially in 2023 with some of the most expensive parts since modern computers have been available to the public.

Apr 19, 2023
Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I need to reinstall or access the BIOS from a cold boot.
The only workaround outside of a cheapo pcie gpu would be install windows from a spare or friends computer and don't let it update. I might just throw a spare drive in an RAID it so I have a spare boot drive.

This is such a stupid problem to have, especially in 2023 with some of the most expensive parts since modern computers have been available to the public.
…. As foolish as I feel, I’m 90% sure I’ve found the issue.

I think I bent a few pins on the CPU socket when trying to clean some thermal paste. It’s very subtle, but there are maybe 2 bent pins that I think is causing it to not boot.

The motherboard has two yellow lights that alternate between CPU and DRAM, so I think it’s safe to say that the pins are the issue. Hopefully I can bend them back without breaking it.

And I’m really sorry to hear that, I hope you find a solution that’s cheaper than mine will end up being. I tried to update the BIOS on my mobo since it was documented that some boards had BIOS issues that caused blank screens with certain cards, have you tried that?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I *might* have figured it out. In my case at least it might be the RAM. 4 DIMMS (4x16GB) won't go to BIOS. Just now I tried two sticks and it went in but had issues getting back to Windows.

So I put those back and it boots but no BIOS. Maybe when the time comes I'll mess with it more but can't afford downtime.

Apr 19, 2023
I *might* have figured it out. In my case at least it might be the RAM. 4 DIMMS (4x16GB) won't go to BIOS. Just now I tried two sticks and it went in but had issues getting back to Windows.

So I put those back and it boots but no BIOS. Maybe when the time comes I'll mess with it more but can't afford downtime.
So yours is just a RAM issue? That sounds like pretty good news! Have you checked the motherboard QVL to make sure your ram is compatible?

I ended up buying a new motherboard that’s overkill and completely unnecessary, so hopefully I don’t manage to mess it up this time lol

Also, sorry for the late reply, the mobile site won’t let me upload images directly from my phone so I’ll have to do it when I get to my laptop.!

Apr 19, 2023

I got it working! So the bent pins were definitely the issue and now that I got a new motherboard it’s working fine. I haven’t gamed on it yet but everything should be fine now.

I really do hope you find a solution. Oh, also, I did have some “trouble” with the RAM on the new motherboard, apparently if you’re running 2 DIMMS it’s supposed be A2/B2 but I had it A1/A2 and it was causing issues with posting and getting to BIOS at first. Once I figured that out I had no issues.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I got it working! So the bent pins were definitely the issue and now that I got a new motherboard it’s working fine. I haven’t gamed on it yet but everything should be fine now.

I really do hope you find a solution. Oh, also, I did have some “trouble” with the RAM on the new motherboard, apparently if you’re running 2 DIMMS it’s supposed be A2/B2 but I had it A1/A2 and it was causing issues with posting and getting to BIOS at first. Once I figured that out I had no issues.
Thanks, I hope so too but am kind of done worrying about it until there's an issue. No point trying to fix it and potentially causing an actual issue.

Glad you figured yours out. Bent MB pins... Almost makes me miss going way back when the pins were on the CPU and thich as a pen tip.

TRENDING THREADS