Question Gigabyte or MSI Z390 Motherboard for I9 9900k

mr prady

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Hey guys

I have recently purchased Core I9 9900k however i am not able to figure out which mobo should i go for.

After some research i came with these two mobo:
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC (11 VRM not sure)
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Elite (12 VRM)

As i did some research VRM plays a big role especially for core i9 9900k which is power hungry. Please help me shorlist a z390 motherboard.

My budget is around 180$ max

Thanks

Personally, I'd save a few more dollars (A small drop in the bucket considering the cost of the CPU AND this platform in general), and look at going with the ASUS Z390-F, ASRock Z390 Taichi or MSI Gaming Pro carbon or Pro carbon AC. They are significantly better boards than the two you listed, which are not bad boards themselves but you are right in asserting that power phase and quality of VRM components is a big factor to this platform with that CPU.

Gigabyte doesn't have a great board at this price point so you'd have to either settle, at a lower price, or pay a bit more for a comparable Gigabyte model such as the Aorus Ultra or Designare.

Reactions: Barty1884

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Good point from DarkBreeze there^.

While it's not going to net you much, assuming you're planning on using a discrete GPU and don't need to use the iGP, you could always see if you could exchange the 9900K for a 9900KF. Drops the iGP and shaves off ~$10. Not a huge amount, a few little $10's saved here & there, and you could be looking at a better quality board.

Either board you listed will work fine, but in an ideal world, you'd get something better...

I like having the iGPU on any system because it offers you an alternative for troubleshooting in the even you ever have display issues or the ability to continue using the system while waiting to buy a new GPU card or an RMA to come through if a card fails. Small benefit, but huge when you need it.

If you have another graphics card, obviously the value of that becomes non-existent, and saving ten bucks is saving ten bucks. Ten bucks, as mentioned, might get you into a moderately better motherboard at the 190-210 price point.

mr prady

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Personally, I'd save a few more dollars (A small drop in the bucket considering the cost of the CPU AND this platform in general), and look at going with the ASUS Z390-F, ASRock Z390 Taichi or MSI Gaming Pro carbon or Pro carbon AC. They are significantly better boards than the two you listed, which are not bad boards themselves but you are right in asserting that power phase and quality of VRM components is a big factor to this platform with that CPU.

Gigabyte doesn't have a great board at this price point so you'd have to either settle, at a lower price, or pay a bit more for a comparable Gigabyte model such as the Aorus Ultra or Designare.
Thanks for the information however the number of VRM's on the following boards are less as compared to the Giagbyte Aorus elite (12 VRM):
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 F GAMING (10 VRM)
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON (11 VRM)

And i have watched some videos that number of VRM's required to run i9 9900k smoothly should be 12.

I don't know there are so many factors that i am not able to figure out which should be the ideal one to go for :(

You are confused by the fact that some of these boards are using doubled power phase counts without actually HAVING that many power phases. You need to actually know how many TRUE power phases the board has. Also, you could have fifty power phases and still have a piece of crap motherboard if the components are poor quality.

I'd rather have a board with 10 power phases that uses higher quality mosfets, inductors (chokes) and capacitors, and don't fake the count to make it seem like there's more, than to have one that really only has a 6 power phase design that is doubled to make it seem like it has more.

If you want a board that ACTUALLY has 10 or more power phases and uses high quality components, you will have to head north of 200 dollars. These boards under 200 bucks, simply don't meet that criteria.

mr prady

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
The
You are confused by the fact that some of these boards are using doubled power phase counts without actually HAVING that many power phases. You need to actually know how many TRUE power phases the board has. Also, you could have fifty power phases and still have a piece of crap motherboard if the components are poor quality.

I'd rather have a board with 10 power phases that uses higher quality mosfets, inductors (chokes) and capacitors, and don't fake the count to make it seem like there's more, than to have one that really only has a 6 power phase design that is doubled to make it seem like it has more.

If you want a board that ACTUALLY has 10 or more power phases and uses high quality components, you will have to head north of 200 dollars. These boards under 200 bucks, simply don't meet that criteria.
The article you shared is perfect for understanding the VRM. Thank you for sharing it. More over i would like to highlight one thing that i am not into overclocking. So if in that case is it worth spending few dollars for a better Mobo or the Mobo i mentioned above will work in my scenario.
Thanks

Any of these motherboards will work fine whether overclocking or not. Some will just work better/easier/longer/cooler/more trouble free than others. Even when not overclocking, and if you are on THIS CPU you would want one of the better boards for certain, you want a good board because the 9900k has a pretty steep lean on the VRMs when it comes to the stock turbo behavior. It is still an incredibly stressful load for any motherboard. You will for certain want to look at high end cooling options. 120mm or lower models of air or water cooling should be off the table.

You want a CPU cooler with at least a 140mm fan or a 240mm radiator, minimum.

There is a somewhat extensive conversation regarding the 9900k, motherboards for it as well as cooling options, much of which probably addresses a lot of the questions you might have in regards to this build that can be found here. It is probably worth your time to read through it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i9-9900k-now-or-wait.3474998/?view=date

mr prady

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Any of these motherboards will work fine whether overclocking or not. Some will just work better/easier/longer/cooler/more trouble free than others. Even when not overclocking, and if you are on THIS CPU you would want one of the better boards for certain, you want a good board because the 9900k has a pretty steep lean on the VRMs when it comes to the stock turbo behavior. It is still an incredibly stressful load for any motherboard. You will for certain want to look at high end cooling options. 120mm or lower models of air or water cooling should be off the table.

You want a CPU cooler with at least a 140mm fan or a 240mm radiator, minimum.

There is a somewhat extensive conversation regarding the 9900k, motherboards for it as well as cooling options, much of which probably addresses a lot of the questions you might have in regards to this build that can be found here. It is probably worth your time to read through it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i9-9900k-now-or-wait.3474998/?view=date
@Darkbreeze Thanks for the information buddy.
For cooling i have purchased Noctua Nh-d15 which i believe is enough to keep it cool at stock speed.
As far as motherboard is concerned could please help me with which brand should i go? MSI or Gigabyte?
I have shortlisted these boards please let me know if they will work fine:
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

Personally? I like Gigabyte better as a brand. I've seen a lot fewer failures on Gigabyte boards than I have on MSI boards, from top to bottom, over the last twenty years.

However, in THIS case, if you are willing to roll the dice that you will not be one of the unlucky ones, then the Pro Carbon is probably the better overall board.