Gigabyte P35 OC Fail?

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hey everyone, I bought my computer about 2 years ago, and I'm looking to play around with the settings again. I'm running an e2160 @ 1.8 on a Gigabyte P35-DS3L. I'm not trying to OC to any extremes.. just going for a stable 2.4 (9x266) Anywho, I've adjusted all of the appropiate settings, and I can't seem to get my OC settings to stick. After adjusting the BIOS settings, and hitting f10 to save & exit, my computer goes through a process of quickly booting on and off 3 times, then proceeding to load the OS. My computer runs fine, but it seems that my OC settings aren't sticking.

I've followed all of the approprite steps.. disable speedstep, lock pcie at 100mhz, disable smartfan, mem multiplier x2, voltages and etc.. but still can't seem to get it to stick.

Apparently this problem isn't limited to me, as it looks like a few other with the P35 have this problem when attempting to OC? I've read the pulling out the CMOS battery and putting it back in will correct the issue.. is this correct? What do I need to do beforehand?

Any other suggestions?

Here's a couple guides I've read over.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245679-29-guide-overclocking-ds3l-updated-2008
http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/254734-gigabyte-ga-p35-ds3l-thread.html

optiprimox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I have that exact board and using to OC my little brother's e5200 to 3.5Ghz w/o issue. what bios version are you using?

you should be able to hit that 2.4ghz with the 2160 - might be your settings - what are they currently at - voltages, fsb, etc? I've also found that, even though you leave your ram at near 1:1 ratio, increasing those voltages help as well.

Consider also you may be hitting the fsb ceiling for that chip (800mhz is standard, correct?)

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Well I dunno what I'm missing.. it's not that the system isn't booting.. it's just not actually applying the overclock settings.

Way back when I first put the computer together I had it running at 3.0ghz fairly stable on air cooling.. it's been awhile though, and I've gone through a couple re-installs.. so I've left it stock for awhile.

I'm pretty sure all the bios settings are correct, I followed those guides fairly accurately. It's retaining all of the settings, everytime I re-enter the bios, the overclock speeds are still there, but they just dont make it to the OS... it's a little confusing :pt1cable:

zeruin

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
-update-

okay.. nevermind, I suppose I've figured it out myself.. I tinkered with the settings a little bit more and I somehow managed to get the settings to stick.

I went ahead and boosted it to 3.0 (9x333) just for fun.. and it actually seems to be running stable.. 30-32c idle, 61-63c full load after running for about an hour. I figure anything under 65c is safe enough for me.. whatcha guys think?

optiprimox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Thats a good temp at load; I won't go any higher though. What hsf are you using? I recommend the xigmatek s1283 for air cooling - i had it on my q9300 for a long time (oc to 3.7) and it was 66c at load with prime95.