Question Gigabyte P55 V5 stuck during Windows Update

May 22, 2020
Was not sure which area was the best to post this, but I have owned a Gigabyte P55 for some years, and I am trying to update to a more recent version of Win10 as mine went out of support some time ago. However, whenever I try to update (or sometimes even try to do a "Reset this PC" option), it simply gets stuck on the Gigabyte motherboard logo. I am not sure if this is a BIOS issue, but I thought to consult online before flashing the BIOS with the new versions on Gigabyte's site, as I am very unfamiliar with this.

I am trying to update from Windows 10 1803 to 1909.

Aug 13, 2020
I had the same issue on a different system and here is what I did to solve the issue.

* X58 Chipset & Windows 10 Solution **

I believe the solution for running Windows 10 with an X58 chipset is to go into your BIOS and disable
Intel VT-d (Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O)

If you read this article you will see there are several technologies from Intel for support of virtualization but only the VT-d portion was causing issues for me.
Overview of the Intel VT Virtualization Features - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki
This article will explain the various components of Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT).
www.thomas-krenn.com

I am using an Asus Rampage Gene III with the X58 chipset. I was unable to upgrade beyond Windows 10 - 1803. However, after disabling the Intel VT-d on my bios I was able to upgrade. I also performed a clean install of Windows 10 - 2004

As confirmation of this I went back into my BIOS and turned Intel VT-d back on and the computer hangs on boot. Turn it off again and everything boots just fine.

Hope this helps!

May 22, 2020
I had the same issue on a different system and here is what I did to solve the issue.

X58 Chipset & Windows 10 Solution *

I believe the solution for running Windows 10 with an X58 chipset is to go into your BIOS and disable
Intel VT-d (Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O)

If you read this article you will see there are several technologies from Intel for support of virtualization but only the VT-d portion was causing issues for me.
Overview of the Intel VT Virtualization Features - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki
This article will explain the various components of Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT).
www.thomas-krenn.com

I am using an Asus Rampage Gene III with the X58 chipset. I was unable to upgrade beyond Windows 10 - 1803. However, after disabling the Intel VT-d on my bios I was able to upgrade. I also performed a clean install of Windows 10 - 2004

As confirmation of this I went back into my BIOS and turned Intel VT-d back on and the computer hangs on boot. Turn it off again and everything boots just fine.

Hope this helps!
Hey thanks so much for your help! I suppose I should've closed this thread, as I was able to fix the issue a couple of months later.

I had tried disabling Intel VT, but it did not have any effect on my machine. In the end, I clean-installed Windows, but still had an issue so I took the opportunity to flash the newest update to my Gigabyte BIOS, and it allowed me to upgrade Windows to 1903, and subsequently to 1909.

Thank you for the help anyway!