Gigabyte P55A-UD3R and SSD AHCI Help!!

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
Hi,

I am trying to install a new SSD into a sata 6GB port on my gigabyte motherboard.

Heres what I have done:

a. unplugged current HDD
b. Connected SSD to GSata 6GB Port (marvel)

In the bios there is a few confusing options for setting AHCI
1. PCH Sata Control Mode: IDE/Raid/AHCI
2. ESata Control Mode: IDE/Raid/AHCI
3. GSata Control Mode: IDE/Raid/AHCI

I am guessing I leave options 1 and 2 as IDE, and option 3 as AHCI?

When I have installed Windows on my SSD, I then want to connect my old sata HDD.
I am guessing this should connect to the old Sata2 port that it was previously connect to?

If this is the case, should I change the Sata2 ports to ACHI in the bios too for the HDD? or leave as IDE, but make sure the Sata3 ports which the SSD is using is ACHI?

I have also heard people saying not to use the Marvel GSATA ports but these are the only ports with 6GB speed on my mobo, what should I do?

Hi, How I would do it:
Connect the SSD to the Intel SATA 2 port, SATA set to AHCI and install Windows. Load the Intel F6 driver during the installation.
Then test the speed using an application from the Internet.
Install the Marvell SATA driver, turn off the PC, move the SSD from the SATA 2 to a Marvell SATA 3 port (make sure you're using SATA 3 cables) and test again the speed (no need to reinstall Windows after moving the drive). This way you'll know which way is better and you can share the result in this thread.

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
Hi, thanks.

How do I load the Intel F6 driver during installation?

I have my HDD connected to the Sata2_0 port (intel?), and I have the SSD connected to the GSATA3_6 port (marvel).
My question was really if I needed to change the Sata2 ports to AHCI or leave as IDE.
If the GSATA port will be ACHI I was just wondering if the other hard drives connected in other ports needed to be AHCI aswell to make them work fast together.

For the SSD, yes, SATA should be set to AHCI. For HDDs, it doesn't matter.
Save the F6 driver on a USB drive and when asked where to install Windows, click load driver and browse for the driver on the USB drive.
When Marvell is set to AHCI, Intel can be set to IDE, AHCI or RAID. For single HDD, you can leave it either to IDE or AHCI. Not affecting the performance.

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
Thank you.

I tried to load some of the marvel and intel preinstall drivers that I downloaded from the gigabyte site but windows setup refused to install them as they were unsigned.

For Intel (during the installation) try ttp://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/drivers/Intel/SATA/Floppy_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(9.5.0.1037)P55.zip
For Marvell, after installing Windows,
ttp://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/drivers/Intel/SATA/Marvell_SATA3_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(1.0.0.1034).zip
Add an h to the links.