Gigabyte Packs Two GTX 1070s Into New Aorus X9 Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
I wish they'd make more enthusiast gear which wasn't all RGB lighting and "spaceship" design. Doesn't have to be completely minimalist: it can still say "this thing is faster than your thing", but without shoving it in our faces.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I wish more OEMs would put dedicated graphics in their machines. Too many machines still ship with under-powered integrated graphics.

Seems like Razer is the only OEM trying to make classy gaming laptops. I also agree that the stealth design and gaudy gamer stuff is annoying.

I actually like the design, to be honest, although I understand that the main issue is the lack of options.
But I have a doubt, out of ignorance and not keeping up with the latest gen of gpus. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a 1080ti? Wouldn't that be less heat/energy and similar performance, without the SLI problems?

Agree, as I get older I like less and less these robotic Star Wars type cases and laptops.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012

There isn't a 1080ti for laptops, the 1080 like the desktop version is only about 20% faster than the 1070.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Wow I like that design. I wonder if the rainbow LED-strip near the screen is function at all.
Why do you adults not want a laptop that is sexy? Boring is boring. Nothing wrong with bringing it to the workplace, who cares. Don't conform, be unique!
It is a bit heavy, but I bet it cools very well with the quad fans.
I'd probably end up getting an MSI GS73VR 1070 max-Q 17" triple fan 5.3 pound laptop. Looks good too with the rainbow backlit keyboard and I don't need all that GPU power.
But if I did, I'd seriously consider this Gigabyte.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
that's what happens when the 1080ti mobile is so expensive, we get garbage products ! seriously last gen notebooks didn't have a problem fitting 980 mobile or desktop version

thormejh

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Everyone is always so mad about gamer looking laptops, well guess what, THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO BUY IT, you go and buy your dell xps with a 1050 so people won't think you're weird at work. How about you stop caring about what other people think so much and just buy a laptop that fits your needs. If that is razer then quit bitching and get the razer. It cost to much for you? then sucks to suck.

dstarr3

Distinguished

I don't care what other people think, I care what I think. And I think laptops like these are ugly as hell and I don't want to look at them. But apparently just because I want a laptop with these specs, that must mean I'm a 12-year-old h4rdc0r3 gamer so everything I buy needs to be styled like Playskool on ecstasy.

There are plenty of computer cases available that are specifically designed to house enthusiast PC builds and still manage to have a sober, adult visual style. It's time laptops caught up. Give the grown-ups some options, please.

Actually, it's not so much about "conforming" and "caring what other people think". In many workplaces, by standing out in such way you would be a lot less likely to get a promotion, since you could be considered "immature" and "not serious". So you might not care emotionally about what they think, but it will be in your best economical interest to "conform" to workplace standards.

But I also don't agree that liking sober designs is "grown up". Just because someone likes what older people are stereotyped to like doesn't make one any more mature or grown up. You can be as mature as you want without being "boring", for example (not that liking sober designs is boring)

lahma

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Seriously, no G-Sync? Not even on the 120hz panel? It's unthinkable to me that someone would purchase such a high-end gamer-focused laptop with 2 high end GPUs crammed inside that fails to include a feature that is basically necessitated on this type of product at this price point. I'll take another product with a single 1080 and a 120hz G-Sync panel (and save some money and heat related throttling headaches) thank you very much. I wonder when we will see a dual GPU laptop using Max-Q 1070s or 1080s.

Status
Not open for further replies.