Gigabyte, Patriot, Zalman, Holiday Contests!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I have to like you on facebook? Sorry I can't do that...

But I can tell you a story...

Tis was xmas morning of 2008. We had cusons and other family memebers presents as we started unwrapping. While most of my gifts are what I am used to getting every year *sweaters, food, socks, ect* this small one from my brother was just a red wrapped box. No bigger then my hand. I opened it up and it had a neweggg gift card. I hugged him and he suggested to come to tomshardware for help choosing a graphics card with it. And have been here ever since.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well this was embarrassing.. And heartwarming too if you read it right haha

It was Christmas 2002 and i woke up at about 6AM, i then woke up the rest of my family because i was young!
"Santa" had left us some rather big presents and i was especially excited!

I opened up the biggest one i could find, and i was so excited because the box had a silver shine and white border which looked a LOT like something i had wanted in a long time!

I continued to unwrap the parcel (My mum does a hell of a job wrapping) and was about to finish saying "YAY IT'S A PLAYSTATION 2!" but when i got to saying "PLAYST..", i froze and realized it was a paper shredder... I was still very excited because..

The funny thing is i always wanted a paper shredder, and i broke it in 6 weeks because i kept trying to shred my toys :)

That was a Very merry Christmas!

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Crap.... I don't have a favorite memory.... all of them are bad memories. A father smoking meth and then tearing apart your bedroom when your 11 isn't exactly fit for a Christmas story. ='(

carmelm

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Kind of funny, requesting entering a "worldwide" by telling a story about holidays that are relevant only to a part of the world...
But, you know what, I'll humor you. The following is my strongest memory of what you call "the holidays". Mind you, I was 15 years old at the time.
Being the native of a very hot country, you can imagine my expectations when spending the so called "holiday season" in Europe (Holland) on Dec 1991. Sadly Christmas morning came and went with no snow seen or expected. Imagine my feelings, when, opening CNN I watched pictures of my native city all covered with a once in 50 years December snow...

Partizan92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
damn I don't have a favourite memory except when i put a flashbang in my cousins toilet while he was still inside... that was funny :)

jestersage

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
This will be my most memorable Christmas - the story started November 20. You can follow the rest on facebook if anyone is interested. The post below is as posted in my daughter's first video on Facebook:

Our daughter
5:42 Added about a month ago
Kayin C. Sarmiento. Born November 20, 2010. Age, 3 days. She was born premature, only 25 weeks in the womb. We are requesting for your prayers for her survival. She is currently in a tertiary hospital east of Manila.

To our family and friends, any financial help will also be greatly appreciated. Yesterday, Daddy Ben and I rushed to St Luke's to get an 8 ml vial of a medicine for her lungs. It cost Php 26,000++ (US$590). I didn't think twice. She responded positively and is still alive. The Neonatologist said we may have cut down her time with the respirator by about a week.

For those who plan to give me birthday presents this weekend, I ask that you not buy anything for me but help us out with the hospital bills instead.

But more importantly, please pray for Kayin.

Lord, I know she is yours and is only with us by your grace. I ask that you grant me the delight of living the rest of my life knowing I have her for this short human lifespan, alive and healthy. I'll try not to spoil her. Promise.

yashchitale

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
there was this major kidney surgery i had to undergo as a kid.. i was four.. since it was Christmas when i woke up after the surgery i was endowed with so many gifts from my relatives the doctor actually had to hold me down cause i was so excited.. me and my cousin used to play the N64 all day long at the hospital.. my family n cousins spent that new year's eve with me in the hospital that year instead of going out..it was a great Christmas spent.. a month later i was discharged.. :)

renami9

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
memorable christmas story? hmmm.... every year is memorable to me simply because we celebrate the exact same way, EVERY YEAR. story goes like this. so, our entire family meet up in my uncle's house and then we greet, we shake hands, we hug, the usual. and then we have a meal together. after the meal the parents talk in the dining room, the little ones goes to the living room to watch cartoons, the girls go to my cousins room and do whatever, lastly, me and the rest of the boys goes to the gaming room and have a little gaming competition / LAN party, the winner gets an extra christmas present. and thats it.

failmouse

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Best memory ever, making a huge snow sculpture of a snow man doing a snow woman, and the look on mums face as she came home to find it. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
heres my story.

last Christmas i built my first computer, for my little brother. up till this point i never build a full computer, but i have swapped everything else in the computer except the cpu.

so here i am putting the cpu in, not wanting to break it, because my little brother wouldn't have a computer, and id me out 600$ but ii wasn't even thinking the money at that point. so i learned a new thing that day, the athlon II x4 620 heatsync takes a hell of allot more force than you think it would to put it on.

it took me almost an hour to figure that out, thankfully i did.

now his motherboard, i cant think of it off the top of my head, has a different problem.

so everything it all hooked up, teh cpu ram psu motherboard and everything else it hooked up right. so i turn it on, F@%^in red lights. i quickly turn it off thinking "OH S!@#, WHATS WRONG did ANYTHING break" so im reading the manual in a panic, thinking i just broke his computer, more sad that he wont get it than im out 600$ at this point, i think "f@#$, if i fried something theres nothing i can do about it now, lets turn it on and figure out what the lights on for"

i turn it on again, and it boots into knopix, and i cant find a single thing wrong with it... it took me half an hour to figure out that the motherboard has red leds, red didn't mean anything was broken. it scared the s@#$ out of me for no reason at all, and all that was running in the back of my mind was "F@#% YOU (cant remember brand, i think it was biostar or gigabyte)"

G

I don't have a facebook account. Probably never will.

Why does everything revolve around facebook!? It's just a site, like any other...

Nowadays you can't participate in any contests because you have to like something on facebook, twitter or some other snob-ridden sites.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
when i was 5, I wanted to wait and see Santa coming in my house with the presents. Of course i fell asleep. I cried my heat out next morning when i woke up with few presents next to my bed. I just wanted to see Santa for real.

Jath

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Christmas of 2008 I got a late graduation gift of money, which I used to buy parts for building a brand new computer. I got a few parts also for Christmas, so I decided to get my computer up and running that day. Well, the computer I built kept restarting constantly, and I couldn't figure out why. I finally figured out that my CPU was running at about 90 degrees Celsius to 100 on minor load. Because it was a stock fan, and my cousin was going to be away for the holidays, I went into his computer and got his fan to see if it worked alright - his computer was a few months old, same cpu type.

So, after getting his fan, I started my computer up and it worked great. Knowing that my cousin would be gone for a while, I figured it would be good. Well, of my own stupidity, his mother decided to go on his computer and no one knew. His computer kinda died, so we went to get a replacement CPU and everything where he bought it. Since it was Christmas, they gave us a brand new computer and transfered his information over for no charge. And I got off the hook of screwing his computer up. Dumb me.

One year, well before Christmas, my best friend lent me his moms copy of The Princess Bride, which I then lent to my girlfriend. Soon we broke up and The Princess Bride was lost to us forever.
That year at Christmas, I thought I'd be a good friend, and buy a new copy for my best friends mom, after all, it was our favorite movie. Little did I know that she had told her entire family about losing her copy of the Princess Bride, also her favorite movie. That Christmas, she received 7copies of the movie. Literally everyone in her family bought her one.
She kept the one from me, and regifted the rest to everyone in the family, so that we would all have a copy of The Princess Bride. I have very few memories of Christmas' past, but this one I think will stay with me forever.

markrb12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I was young, maybe 5 or 6 years old. At that time I shared a room with my older brother. It was very early Christmas morning, probably 5am and I was jumping out of my socks wanting to go see what Santa brought me. Of course this woke up my brother and I asked him if I could go wake up our mother. Instead of his being his normal big brother kind of jerk self he said "why don't you go get our stockings and we can look at them together and let Ma sleep a little longer." That time together on that Christmas morning is the best memory I have of my entire youth. I haven't seen my brother in years and we have talked in almost as long, but every Christmas I think bad to that morning and think what a closer family could be like.

G

I have grown up here in India where Christmas hasn't been a very big season of Celebration, but being brought up in a Jesuit School with a lot of English Movies, i always have liked Christmas holiday's a lot and i always think of celebrating these holiday just like the one's portrayed in the Home Alone series.
Merry Christmas had a Happy New Year to all of you.

benyben123

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
On Christmas Day Grandmother invited some friends they could celebrate Christmas with. The guests saw the beautiful tree, and next Christmas they had a Tree themselves, and their friends saw their trees, and ten years after Hannah and her Grandmother had the first Christmas tree in the world, nearly everyone in their country had a tree.
And so it became a tradition to take a fir in and decorate it for Christmas.

benyben123

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Once upon a time there was a girl called Hannah. She lived with her grandmother in a small house in a big forest.
On Christmas Eve, on which Hannah became nine years old, her Grandmother said:
“Hannah, could you please hang the Christmas sheaf in the most beautiful fir you can find?”
Hannah didn’t answer, but ran out to find the big Christmas sheaf on the ground, ready to hang up in the tree. Hannah and her Grandmother always had a big Christmas sheaf, but this sheaf was the biggest they ever had.
“Now I need a beautiful fir,” Hannah thought. She walked in the direction of a little fir.
“This one is too small. I must find a fir bigger than me,” she said to herself. “But where can I find the perfect tree?”
Hannah turned to the left, and walked to a very beautiful fir. She had never ever seen such a wonderful sight. The tree had a perfect green colour and the most perfect branches Hannah had ever seen.
“Oh, it must be the most beautiful tree in the world,” ahe said. “But it is too small for the big Christmas sheaf. Maybe we could bring it into our living room so we can look at it all the time?”
So Hannah ran home and told her Grandmother about the beautiful tree.
“So I thought maybe we can take the fir into the house to look at it and sing songs to it?” she finished.
“Let me see the most beautiful tree in the whole world,” her Grandmother said.
Hannah showed her Grandmother the fir.
“You’re right, this must be the most beautiful tree in the world,” Grandmother said. “Could you please hang the Cristmas sheaf in the fir over there. Meanwhile I will take this fir into the house?”
and when Hannah came back to the house, she and her Grandmother found some beautiful decorations to hang on the tree to make it even more beautiful.
On Christmas Day Grandmother invited some friends they could celebrate Christmas with. The guests saw the beautiful tree, and next Christmas they had a Tree themselves, and their friends saw their trees, and ten years after Hannah and her Grandmother had the first Christmas tree in the world, nearly everyone in their country had a tree.
And so it became a tradition to take a fir in and decorate it for Christmas.

G

2005 My first year of being independent worker. I am working in a shop far from home. The problem is holiday is not a holiday for me, because the shop open in holiday, I missed my family so much, luckily that day my girlfriend cant go home too because she having the same problem as mine.
So days before i planned a little party just for the two of us.

After the shop closed i go picked up my girlfriend, and we go to the supermarket and buy some grocery, definitely not extravagant dishes, we go home to my small rented room, on there we prepare our food together, we buy some crab but because we never cooked one we didn’t know how to prepare it, so we find the recipe online (thanks to google).

It still plays vividly in my mind that we both enjoyed every moment of that night. We both missed our families but since we cant go home so we entertain ourselves with each other, we eat and laughing out loud to the corniest joke. It was so much fun.

After that we planning to go out to see fireworks, we arrived in time at our destination in the town center, we holding hand, hug and we kissed, and we getting wet because its raining on the end of that night, we walked in the rain as we walk to my rented room.

That night become our routine every holiday when we cant go home to our families. She makes me stronger and gave me strength to be more successful. And she’s always there for me.

Now, 5 years after, we are still together, loving each other and I’m planning to propose her on this New Years Eve. Wish me luck guys :)

ps: sorry my bad English, as it is not my native language

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I have no great Christmas memories...... but embarrassing .... Yes....

this one Christmas somehwere I think 2004, My sis had to be the narrator for this grand play at our Cathedral.... now she was very nervous (being only 13 in front of a thousand odd people and her first time on stage). now this was also my first year being fat!! so they decided to make me santa...... I was quite gung ho about it and went around dancing merrily.... but my sis got cold feet....she wouldnt make it on stage..... somehow I managed to get her to go up there .... but again she started fumbling her words..... luckily for her though.... I was to get up on the stage within 2 lines into her narration.....

Imagine the situation when she says "And here comes Santa!!!" and there I go up the stairs....wait......I tripped once and fell down ..... yes Santa fell down the stairs on christmas night in front of the entire congregation of a thousand + people.......

so I got up again and went up the stairs ....only this time to fall down again after reaching the centre of the stage!!!!! damn......

welll... my sis lost all her inhibitions and carried off the rest of her part flawlessy and I well....became the butt of all santa jokes for a long time to come..... however I never did mind it as my sis managed to get her part right thanks to my clumsiness and a huge congragation of people had a happy start to their christmas day laughing at my fat ass plonked right up in the air and it all got caught on camera........

Embarrasing......

Status
Not open for further replies.