[SOLVED] Gigabyte PB500 Power Supply for attached build

May 6, 2020
I bought this power supply because it was cheap and in stock, which is a rarity these days. After doing some research, I'm thinking of returning this supply and picking up something else with higher wattage and better quality. Unfortunately basically everything less than $100 is sold out or delivered in June. My question is: is the PB500 and acceptable PSU for this build or should I move to a Corsair CV Series CV 550 watt (which is probably also junk). Or if there's a lead for a PSU under $100 that is in stock please let me know. Thank you.

Parts list
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 590 8 GB FATBOY OC+ Video Card
Case: Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case

Solution
I'm in the US.

I'm just going to copy and paste this over and over again.... Seems to fit every "I bought a crap PSU and now I regret it but I don't have any budget so I want to buy something cheap that's not crap" that gets posted.....

These are the cheapest PSUs from each of the "big brands" that I would ever suggest:

Corsair: The CX Series (non "M"): LLC w/ DC to DC and rifle bearing fan. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

Thermaltake: Only products that have "Toughpower" in the name. They're LLC with DC to DC. Modular.

Cooler Master: MWE V2 (not the "non V2"): The V2 has LLC with DC to DC. Both the "White" and "Bronze" versions of the V2 use the same LLC and DC to DC topology. Either have rifle bearing fans...
May 6, 2020
Bit the bullet and bought the Corsair TX650M. It was $110 and slightly more than I wanted to spend but hopefully I can not have to worry about this PSU.

I'm in the US.

I'm just going to copy and paste this over and over again.... Seems to fit every "I bought a crap PSU and now I regret it but I don't have any budget so I want to buy something cheap that's not crap" that gets posted.....

These are the cheapest PSUs from each of the "big brands" that I would ever suggest:

Corsair: The CX Series (non "M"): LLC w/ DC to DC and rifle bearing fan. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

Thermaltake: Only products that have "Toughpower" in the name. They're LLC with DC to DC. Modular.

Cooler Master: MWE V2 (not the "non V2"): The V2 has LLC with DC to DC. Both the "White" and "Bronze" versions of the V2 use the same LLC and DC to DC topology. Either have rifle bearing fans. They are non-Modular.

Antec: EAG PRO: LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan. "Gold" efficiency. Semi-modular. The new version has all black wires. Don't get stuck with the old version.

Another Antec: Neo Eco Zen: LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan. "Gold" efficiency. Non-modular.

The following are my "it will do" suggestions. They all have double forward topologies. I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options. Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig. All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.: They are not group regulated).

Corsair: CX-M. Not to be confused with the non-M above. This one is not LLC. But it does have DC to DC like it's cousin. "Bronze" efficiency. Semi-modular. Black cables.

Corsair: CV650: Only the 650W has DC to DC. The 450W and 550W do not. "Bronze" efficiency. Non-modular.

beQuiet: System Power U9 is "ok". I'm actually not a fan of the active clamp platform the Pure Power and Power Zone uses. U9 has "Bronze" efficiency. Rifle bearing fan. Non-modular.

EVGA: The BQ Series. "Bronze" efficiency. Rifle bearing fan. Semi-modular.

.SilverStone: Essential series. An oldie, but a goody. "Bronze" efficiency. Sleeve bearing fan makes this my lowest recommendation as sleeve fans wear out quickly. Semi-modular.

And then you can always pay more for a PSU, then you get features like full modularity, better efficiency (Gold, Platinum, Titanium), which also means the PSU runs cooler, a better fan (like an FDB fan), and in some cases the ability to monitor PSU voltages, temperatures, etc. Some have quieter fans than others too (zero-RPM fan mode or a better fan motor that makes less "buzzing" noise).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution