Gigabyte R9 380 4GB G1 Gaming Fan & Bios

Phed88

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Hi all,

I have a Gigabyte R9 380 graphic card (GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD).

1. For some reason, it does not display fan speed in OC GURU II. I set the fan to manual, as using the automatic option makes the card hot as hell. Does anyone have any idea why is it doing so?

2. I would like to upgrade VGA BIOS as itt will hopefully solve (1.).
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5462#bios
Here, on Gigabyte's website says:
"Please note:
You can only update to a VBIOS version of the same series.
If your VBIOS version is:
F1, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F2-F9.
F10, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F11-F19.
F20, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F21-F29."

But only these versions are downloadable: F42, F21, F71, F61, F51

Gigabyte VGA@BIOS says my current version is: GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD.F4

Crimson says:
Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
Device ID - 6939
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 22BB
SubSystem Vendor ID - 1458
Revision ID - F1
BIOS Version - 015.049.000.002
BIOS Part number - 113-xxx-xxx
BIOS Date - 2015/06/10 06:48

Techpowerup says the lastest bios for this card is:
GPU Device Id: 0x1002 0x6939
113-xxx-Xxx GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD/F50/030F
(C) 1988-2010, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
ATOMBIOSBK-AMD VER015.049.000.004.000000
R938G14D.F50

Now I'm a bit confused about bios versions. Can somebody please tell me, which bios version is the latest, and can be installed safely?

Thank you in advance for the answers!

Solution
Well, I have found a solution.

The key was the OC GURU II version. Newer version can see the speed of the fan, and can be used in automatic mode. This results a much more silent operation of the graphic card while the temperature never goes over 75°C. Nevertheless, I still do not understand, why is an unusable version of OC GURU is attached with this card.

As for BIOS, OC GURU says, there is no newer version and as not having trouble with the temperature any more, I do not insist on upgrading it.

Ryan_78

Honorable
What you can do instead is download MSI afterburner. Then you can go to settings and then set user fan speed curve. Play around with it and adjust as needed. Then go back to main MSI screen and under fan option and select enable user fan curve.

Is your card overclocked, under high load, like 120hz or higher resolution? It could be running at higher speeds, not downclocking. And what do you mean by high temps? Anything under 90C under load is fine. Do you have good ventilation in your case?

Phed88

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
My config:
CPU: i7 4790 (not the K version) + CM Hyper evo 212
RAM: 4*8GB 1600Mhz Corsair vengeance pro red memory
GPU: Gigabyte r9 380 4gb G1 Gaming
Case: Cooler Master CMS-693 KKN1 + manually added 2 fan's

As far as I know, this graphic card is already factory overclocked by 20Mhz. Anyway, I don't want, and I've never overclocked it. I use it on 1920x1080@60Hz with Samsung SyncMaster P2470HD monitor.

I've heard, that there is a feature in this graphic card (0db fan or something), which turns on the fan only when temperature is over a certain value.
But at first try, I was surprised how silent the gpu fan is while playing games, and when I checked it's temperature, it was 95°C+. Probably the fan hasn't started. After that I downloaded Gigabyte OC GURU II (By this time, there were no other OC util on my computer). By default, the fan was set automatic and the speed indicated 0RPM. After setting it to manual, the fan speed was 0RPM as well, but at least i've heard that the fan started, and changing it's speed depending on the temperature.

Another interesting thing is, some of the utils (MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z) can see the fan speed rpm, but some (HWMonitor, OC GURU II) can't. HWMonitor does not even display a line, which shows the GPU fan. I have checked another computer, which has a Gigabyte R9 270, but there were no problem with it.

Phed88

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Well, I have found a solution.

The key was the OC GURU II version. Newer version can see the speed of the fan, and can be used in automatic mode. This results a much more silent operation of the graphic card while the temperature never goes over 75°C. Nevertheless, I still do not understand, why is an unusable version of OC GURU is attached with this card.

As for BIOS, OC GURU says, there is no newer version and as not having trouble with the temperature any more, I do not insist on upgrading it.

Solution