gigabyte r9 380 oc 2gb overheat

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
gigabyte r9 380 oc 2gb overheat. any fix?

specs

CPU: Intel - Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - GeminII S524 Ver 2 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial - Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung - 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State DriveStorage: Hitachi - Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card

Case: Antec - VSK-4350E-N ATX Mid Tower Case

Supply: LEPA - N 500W ATX Power Supply

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Solution
First I recommend taking your video card out, and hit it carefully with compressed air to clean the metal fins on the heat-sink. Then if temps don't stay below 78C you will have to re do thermal compound on your gpu dye. You need to be more experienced in applying thermal compound on a GPU than CPU. Biggest reason is the die is exposed on a GPU compared to a cpu dye, which is covered by a heat spreader. So in terms meaning if done wrong can increase temps and/or short the chip due to conductive thermal paste (Check Brand).

tHuser123

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017

the max I see is 82c playing battlefield 4 on all ultra. I see people with the same build on youtube they only at like 65c

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure they have the same model of R9 380? They probably have a different case, meaning different (possibly more) airflow. If the card is old, it may benefit from cleaning and/or repasting.

82C is pretty warm, but not really overheating. If you're concerned, just increase the fan speed using Wattman or Afterburner.

xXxREBELOxXx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2015
First I recommend taking your video card out, and hit it carefully with compressed air to clean the metal fins on the heat-sink. Then if temps don't stay below 78C you will have to re do thermal compound on your gpu dye. You need to be more experienced in applying thermal compound on a GPU than CPU. Biggest reason is the die is exposed on a GPU compared to a cpu dye, which is covered by a heat spreader. So in terms meaning if done wrong can increase temps and/or short the chip due to conductive thermal paste (Check Brand).

Solution