Jun 27, 2019
Hello.
I've just got used Gigabyte Radeon 7950 card and I noticed missing capacitor on the GPU chip.
The card works perfectly fine. It's stable, I'm getting expected performance, I was even able to overclock the card to 1085MHz core without overvolting it, what gave me 700 points increase in 3DMark11. With i5 3320M through expresscard eGPU I'm getting 7500 points.
Is there anything I should be worried about? What is the purpose of this capacitor then?

sH6SNFy.png

Hello.
I've just got used Gigabyte Radeon 7950 card and I noticed missing capacitor on the GPU chip.
The card works perfectly fine. It's stable, I'm getting expected performance, I was even able to overclock the card to 1085MHz core without overvolting it, what gave me 700 points increase in 3DMark11. With i5 3320M through expresscard eGPU I'm getting 7500 points.
Is there anything I should be worried about? What is the purpose of this capacitor then?

sH6SNFy.png
As said above....that may be intentional.
Although if it wasn't....I wouldn't get super concerned.

I don't want to leave you with the idea that caps aren't important of even critical. ...but they are mainly used for noise reduction and filtering...and many times they aren't 100% required and circuits will function fine without them depending on where they are in the circuit and what their intended function is.

...and if the card runs fine....I would leave it be.