Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card not fully powered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexMorganMD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hey buddies, I put together my first PC build today. When it finally came down to turning it on and finding out if it was working, I got a "no signal" from my monitor. When I looked in the case, only two of the fans on the graphics card were spinning.

I've double and triple checked to make sure BOTH power cables are connected, as well as the card being seated correctly. Do I have a bad card?

RexMorganMD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Sure, here you go:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-920-N520-GP 43.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-22B2Sb/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

How many fans do you have on the video card?
What you can do is power down and unplug the power supply , then take the card out of the slot and unplug the power cables and take out the motherboard battery. Then put the card back in making sure that it is seated all the way in and then plug in the power cables making sure that they are pushed all the way in and you hear the click od the latches. Then connect the video cable going to the monitor and make sure of both ends and finaly plug in the power supply and power up an see if there is any difference.

RexMorganMD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I went through the guide, the only thing I didn't do correctly during my set up was use too much thermal paste. I cleaned some of it off of the CPU/heatsink (being EXTREMELY careful to not get any on other parts).

I've been through the whole guide now. No dice, middle fan still doesn't spin, still no signal to the monitor.

:(

RexMorganMD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Yeah, I thought of the monitor cable, but it was working on a different computer less than an hour ago. I'll check anyways, but that doesn't solve the problem of the fan not spinning. From what I gather all three fans are supposed to spin on start up.

This monitor definitely auto-detects the input, and I pointed it to the DVI input anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.