Question Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce 4GB UNSTABLE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
Alright, I recently got a Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce 4GB and I have been having massive issues just with my system. By the way, a friend gave it to me since he got an upgrade. I'm a college student so money is tight for me. For the first 2 to 3 weeks I had this card, I didn't have any issues. Just got some crashes because my CPU overclock was unstable. I know this card is working because I tested it in a older PC and gotten no issues. The driver I installed for my testing and maybe a fix to this problem was 19.4.1, 19.1.1, and 19.4.2. I really like the card and I can actually get some really good frames with my CPU, but yea I know my bottleneck is massive. Now, what happens. I play CSGO, Overwatch, and some Minecraft. Any of these games just freeze and after that goes back to the desktop and says Wattman as restored to defualts or something like that. I even tried downclocking and it didn't fix it. Thanks in advance and I'll leave my specs below.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (OC to 3.3ghz)
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce 4GB
RAM: Corsair XMS 2 Quad Channel 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair GS800
MotherBoard: Asus P5KE WiFi

Last edited:

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
tennis2 is right, you should RMA your card. Undervolting will not help. Also you say that your friend gave it to you, did he do some crazy OC on that thing which damaged the card. Just a general advice never attempt OC unless you have something stable like watercooling. Upgrade your motherboard BIOS also to the latest version.
I have given him back to card and asked my parents if they can get me a gpu. I just bought on what a EVGA GTX 760 2GB FTW for $60.00. It will do fine for me since I don't play crazy games. I believe he did some crazy overclock which lead to the problems I was having.