Question Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce 4GB UNSTABLE

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
Alright, I recently got a Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce 4GB and I have been having massive issues just with my system. By the way, a friend gave it to me since he got an upgrade. I'm a college student so money is tight for me. For the first 2 to 3 weeks I had this card, I didn't have any issues. Just got some crashes because my CPU overclock was unstable. I know this card is working because I tested it in a older PC and gotten no issues. The driver I installed for my testing and maybe a fix to this problem was 19.4.1, 19.1.1, and 19.4.2. I really like the card and I can actually get some really good frames with my CPU, but yea I know my bottleneck is massive. Now, what happens. I play CSGO, Overwatch, and some Minecraft. Any of these games just freeze and after that goes back to the desktop and says Wattman as restored to defualts or something like that. I even tried downclocking and it didn't fix it. Thanks in advance and I'll leave my specs below.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (OC to 3.3ghz)
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Windforce 4GB
RAM: Corsair XMS 2 Quad Channel 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair GS800
MotherBoard: Asus P5KE WiFi

Last edited:

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
I tried a fresh install of Windows 7 and Windows 10. I don't mind doing it again, but which Windows would better for the hardware I have?
Go with 10, and set everything at stock speed. If everything is stable, then you can try overclocking.

The RX570 probably asks more of your CPU than the old card. It was able to cope with the demand of the old card even if overclocked but the higher load with the RX570 now puts it in unstable territory. Said otherwise, the overclock could have been unstable since day 1 but didn't appeared so because the CPU didn't need to go on as high a load to drive the old card.

I did try that also, the power limit was at 0 the whole time. I didn't and never will overclock this card because it dosent have a 6 or 8 pin power connector

With a power limit of 0% the card can not operate.
Maybe AMD and Nvidia cards differ in this regard.
If I set my 1070s to 50%power limit the clocks drop till around1100. If I set power to 112% clocks go up to 1850 to 1900.
I run them with power @112% and a 100mhz overclock for 1984-2012 boost clocks with a custom fan profile.

We have progress.
If you run the card @ it's default settings, overclocked or not, you will not hurt it in any way.
About the only way to harm a card is overheating or overvolting, besides physical damage.
As long as you have good case airflow it will not overheat unless it becomes clogged with dust or the fan dies.
I've been overclocking for 22 years and most of my computers run 24/7/365 running F@H.
Some have been running 9 years with power supply and video card upgrades. I run GPU folding only now.
3.3-3.6 is near the top for these chips on air so work on you overclock a little more. you could get 3.3 stable but lots of stability testing is needed if you wish to push the limits and run every day stable.

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
We have progress.
If you run the card @ it's default settings, overclocked or not, you will not hurt it in any way.
About the only way to harm a card is overheating or overvolting, besides physical damage.
As long as you have good case airflow it will not overheat unless it becomes clogged with dust or the fan dies.
I've been overclocking for 22 years and most of my computers run 24/7/365 running F@H.
Some have been running 9 years with power supply and video card upgrades. I run GPU folding only now.
3.3-3.6 is near the top for these chips on air so work on you overclock a little more. you could get 3.3 stable but lots of stability testing is needed if you wish to push the limits and run every day stable.
So my crashes are still happening but not like every minute on stock settings. Before the reinstall of Windows it would crash every second. Now its less, but very less. I could use some more help tho because I can't figure out whats happening. All it shows me is Wattman restored default settings.

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
So my crashes are still happening but not like every minute on stock settings. Before the reinstall of Windows it would crash every second. Now its less, but very less. I could use some more help tho because I can't figure out whats happening. All it shows me is Wattman restored default settings.
I find myself in a similar problem in which I get the same message from Radeon wattman though I have a sapphire RX 460. You may watch some video or ask Gigabyte or get help from your friends here regarding how you update GPU BIOS. I think using Gigabyte's guide for how to do it is more prefered.
USE THIS-https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-upgrade-your-gpu-bios.1957251/

Last edited:

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
I find myself in a similar problem in which I get the same message from Radeon wattman though I have a sapphire RX 460. You may watch some video or ask Gigabyte or get help from your friends here regarding how you update GPU BIOS. I think using Gigabyte's guide for how to do it is more prefered.
USE THIS-https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-upgrade-your-gpu-bios.1957251/
I'm about to try this about and thanks in advance for everyone.

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
I did it and I ran many benchmarks and played GTA, CSGO, and Overwatch without a simple problem. That BIOS flash really did help a lot but, how can I overclock this because everytime I try it fails.

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
I did it and I ran many benchmarks and played GTA, CSGO, and Overwatch without a simple problem. That BIOS flash really did help a lot but, how can I overclock this because everytime I try it fails.
I have never tried a overclock. If you want a stable OC see some guide from tomshardware. You will find many. Also regarding that radeon settings disable fast startup and you will not see that message again. Generally you should increase clock in increments of 25MHz.

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
I have never tried a overclock. If you want a stable OC see some guide from tomshardware. You will find many. Also regarding that radeon settings disable fast startup and you will not see that message again. Generally you should increase clock in increments of 25MHz.
I have a SSD, will it make a big difference? All I have on the SSD are programs like Steam, and etc. All my games are on a seperate hard drive

wabobthedevil35

Honorable
Jul 2, 2016
Ok, now I'm really getting tired of this card I be honest. I legit turned off my PC for a bit and come back with the same issues. My power limit is at the max which is 75. With no overclock. I'm about to go back to my r7 250x. I tried everything even the set of instructions for undervolting.

ishaankaushik

Honorable
BANNED
Sep 7, 2017
Ok, now I'm really getting tired of this card I be honest. I legit turned off my PC for a bit and come back with the same issues. My power limit is at the max which is 75. With no overclock. I'm about to go back to my r7 250x. I tried everything even the set of instructions for undervolting.
tennis2 is right, you should RMA your card. Undervolting will not help. Also you say that your friend gave it to you, did he do some crazy OC on that thing which damaged the card. Just a general advice never attempt OC unless you have something stable like watercooling. Upgrade your motherboard BIOS also to the latest version.

Last edited: