Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 Gaming OC 8G Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I personally hate this stupid mining. A waste of ressources, only to feed a big bubble.

And to look forward:
No VGA available means no sales of CPU, mainboards, memory etc.
The kiddies will buy consoles... Totally bad for the PC market and periphery.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Again, Toms is very tight lipped about these Vega cards consistently outperforming their competitors. Hardly anything mentioned about those gaming benchmarks and the fact that the V64 eats the 1080 especially at 2560 res. AND you get a great mining card. And a $200 cheaper monitor (instead of a Gsync comparable one) thanx to Freesync. I'm counting quite alot of wins here. If only the miners didn't spoil the party!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-graphics-cards,4725.html
I made such a thing long time ago. Simply pick a card of your choice and compare it. The 1080 is in a few months old iron ;)

No hash rate benchmarks? Disappointed:(
It is a gaming card, not just another card to feed the mining bubble. The current market situation is the result of all this mining shit. Greed eats brain - not with me. Please don't ask me, how I got these both samples. You see any other reviews of this GB cards? :)

Hardly anything mentioned about those gaming benchmarks
Of course, I could have added a performance/watt curve as well. It has all some pros and cons. Sometimes it's just better to keep quiet. Everyone can read, what he prefer. :)

pepar0

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
Personally, I think the tech/gaming media should STOP reviewing graphics cards that cannot be purchased. Nor couldn't be afforded if they could be found. This is not out of wanting to punish the GPU makers, but is rather a practical and principals matter. Plus it might cause GPU makes to rethink their positions; gamers will be here if digital currencies evolve to where mining is not needed.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd *LOVE* to buy a Vega 56 or Vega 64 especially to compare with my 1080, and the Vega platform is pretty solid. The GPU makers really need to start taking steps to end this madness. The GPU shortage is getting to be ridiculously stupid on every level.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Instead, the card is entirely unavailable in the U.S., and when Vega 64 boards do appear, they're marked up beyond what anyone should pay for one.

Exactly. So why are you even bothering to waste the resources to review video cards any more? I can understand reviewing an exotic $6000 monitor that no one can buy simply for its exclusivity and leading edge technology we hope will trickle down to us mere mortals eventually. However, there is nothing interesting about a mainstream GPU that has dozens of reviews already that no one can buy. How about concentrating resources on reviewing products we might have a chance of buying?

What idiot is going to pay $1600 for a Vega 64?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B074DK6NHQ/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

How about $2,793.50 for a used one? + $6.50 for shipping. Really? I have to pay shipping for a used $2800 Vega 64?

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
A waste of money for anyone, even blind AMD fanboys. This first Vega series was too little, too late for anyone with a modicum of common sense.

Stick to CPUs, AMD.

Oenomel_G

Commendable
Nov 18, 2016
I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a new build.....but not until I can upgrade my old HD7550...shame what mining is doing to the overall industry

Lasselundberg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
not availabe for reasonable price...so i dont care

mining is what it is....just wish that instead of trading power for crypto, that it would do some good as well ....like folding at home or seti

milinials will buy consoles....until they become unavailable because someone hacked them for mining as well

g-unit1111

Titan

The last few rounds of AMD GPUs have been fairly solid. This is just overpriced due to the mining craze and the resulting shortage. The shortage is getting stupid, something has to be done.

Blytz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
Disappointing, when you consider if you flash a 56, undervolt and overclock you get 95% of the performance for less money.

Assuming you could lay your hands on one (which I did before the miners soaked them all up)

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Exactly. So why are you even bothering to waste the resources to review video cards any more?
I was able to organize it in Asia and imported it by myself - this are no media samples. The companies also sold for gamers a lot of payable cards during the Dream Hack this week. The main problem in US seems the "missing culture" of fair online shopping with real competitors and to not limit the cards per buyer. Too less players on the market and the "America first" philosophy are also reasons for useless import prices. Reduce the taxes and penalties for Asia imports and a lot if things will be cheaper ;)

One of the biggest stores in Germany sold the Vega56 last week for "only" 500 Euro (19% VAT already included). If you really need a card, buy it outside US. :)

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Are. But the electricity costs are significant higher in Germany. It is not easy to get payable hardware too, but if you are not too stupid, it is possible. They started long times ago to limit the cards per buyer or to prefer buyers, ordering together with the VGA card also other things like mainboards or CPUs. And a lot of distributors also delivered many cards to their OEM and SI clients (PC builders etc.).

The main problem with Nvidia cards is, that I can buy as pro-miner really easy 6K GTX 1060 6GB directly from the factory without slot panel and cooler to finish the assemby in a 3rd party factory by myself. The AIC get the same price but has no costs for shipping, RMA, import taxes etc. The mining problem is sitting in Asia and Russia. The thing with AMD is a bit different. The AIB get too less chips to keep the production on the possible maximum and can sell this few cards even better than Nvidia products to the miners.

If only a few cards left for a normal shipping I try (as vendor) to deliver into the countries with the biggest margin and smalles import barriers, and this is currently not US. The stupid prices came not from the suppliers, it's home-made by your online shops and stores. Simply take a look, which brands you get in the US and how much brands exists. A lot of this big Asian players like Galaxy or Colorful (both Nvidia) are not available in US. You ever tried to get an inno3D or Manli? I visited a lot of such factories, know the guys from the HQ's and have a lot of good friends in the distribution business. The current situation is not easy. For all.

Status
Not open for further replies.