News Gigabyte Reportedly Launching High-Wattage Radeon 6800 XT

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Sanstre.png

I had to check to be sure: my MSI RX 6800XT Gaming Z Trio has three 8 pin power connectors so that's hardly new. And besides, AMD enforces a hard power limit of 300W on all RX 6800 XT boards. Or so I thought...has that changed?

DSzymborski

Titan
The GPU itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a vacuum, but Gigabyte's probably doing a limited run of these with hope of clearing out their 6800 XT parts more profitably then just cutting their losses and slashing the prices. Now, it almost certainly still won't make sense for a buyer, but people buy drives for unneeded RAIDs, magic magnet healing necklaces, and Nickelback albums, so something making sense isn't necessarily required.

The GPU itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense in a vacuum, but Gigabyte's probably doing a limited run of these with hope of clearing out their 6800 XT parts more profitably then just cutting their losses and slashing the prices. Now, it almost certainly still won't make sense for a buyer, but people buy drives for unneeded RAIDs, magic magnet healing necklaces, and Nickelback albums, so something making sense isn't necessarily required.
All I can say is "good luck with that."

Reactions: KyaraM

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This release makes no sense and seems to be just a waste of silicon. 🤷‍♂️
There is no waste of silicon here. I suspect these are the remnant chips which the likes of Gigabyte is trying to sell it off without offering a steep discount. So to justify the persistent higher price, they just give it more power. which is a small increase in cost to them, instead of them having to slash prices to clear.

The RX 6800 XT is still a good card, but the mindset is that its previous gen itself means people expect a price cut, not a beefed up version of it.

Reactions: ikjadoon

DSzymborski

Titan
All I can say is "good luck with that."

People bought FX-9590s! If you recall, we were all "who would buy an FX-8350 with the bejeesus overclocked out of them and still isn't as good for gaming as the Intel?" and then we had years of questions of people wanting to know why their 9590s stunk and requesting fixes. Thank goodness most of those appear to have aged off the planet.

People bought FX-9590s! If you recall, we were all "who would buy an FX-8350 with the bejeesus overclocked out of them and still isn't as good for gaming as the Intel?" and then we had years of questions of people wanting to know why their 9590s stunk and requesting fixes. Thank goodness most of those appear to have aged off the planet.

You have made my Monday morning dark...very very dark. :geek::tongueout:

Reactions: King_V

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
What the...?? Did Gigabyte think people were complaining the 6800 XT was using too little power??

When you think some companies can't get any crazier, Gigabyte proves us wrong!

Apr 1, 2020
Pretty sure the 4070Ti will smoke it, too, and at far less power consumption at that. 🤣

The 4070Ti is 15-25% faster than the 6800XT depending on resolution so quite likely unless they have some magic up their sleeves, quite likely. However a 4070Ti is $800-$900 whereas a 6800XT is $550-$600, so it is a better value, performance number wise, for gamers who don't care about the software side or the power side.

This is only valid of course or they bring it to market in that price range. If it's $650 then it's just about the same percent slower as it is cheaper.

To me it'd make more sense to sell them as a reference type edition 6800XT for $500 and clear thsm out since the inbound new generation midrange cards will displace them.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
The 4070Ti is 15-25% faster than the 6800XT depending on resolution so quite likely unless they have some magic up their sleeves, quite likely. However a 4070Ti is $800-$900 whereas a 6800XT is $550-$600, so it is a better value, performance number wise, for gamers who don't care about the software side or the power side.

This is only valid of course or they bring it to market in that price range. If it's $650 then it's just about the same percent slower as it is cheaper.

To me it'd make more sense to sell them as a reference type edition 6800XT for $500 and clear thsm out since the inbound new generation midrange cards will displace them.
I mean. Yes and no. With 400W, it will be so inefficient that it will matter for most people for that alone. And that is a pretty big argument at the moment.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is no waste of silicon here. I suspect these are the remnant chips which the likes of Gigabyte is trying to sell it off without offering a steep discount. So to justify the persistent higher price, they just give it more power. which is a small increase in cost to them, instead of them having to slash prices to clear.
I would actually rather see manufacturers make specialty low-power versions of existing GPUs. For instance, how low would they have to cut the clocks to make it passively-cooled? Or, maybe actively-cooled but single-slot?

Another example: I have a friend who has a compact desktop machine and wanted to buy a dGPU for it, but it needs to be half-height, half-length, and fit in a single slot. Currently, the best card you can find that fits the bill is a Quadro T1000, which is basically a GTX 1650 with lower clocks. Why isn't anyone making a GTX 3050 like that?

Giroro

Splendid
I would actually rather see manufacturers make specialty low-power versions of existing GPUs. For instance, how low would they have to cut the clocks to make it passively-cooled? Or, maybe actively-cooled but single-slot?

Another example: I have a friend who has a compact desktop machine and wanted to buy a dGPU for it, but it needs to be half-height, half-length, and fit in a single slot. Currently, the best card you can find that fits the bill is a Quadro T1000, which is basically a GTX 1650 with lower clocks. Why isn't anyone making a GTX 3050 like that?

The other week I was looking into a SFF build pairing an old Business PC with an Arc A380. But not even the A380 comes in half height, nor single slot. Business machines should be the bread and butter for that card, so I have no idea why they haven't made one. There will hypothetically be the intel A40 and A50 at some point... but as far as I can tell those don't exist yet. But still you get single slot OR half height, not both.

Reactions: bit_user