News Gigabyte Resurrects GeForce GT 1030: Pascal Returns, Again

I don't think the GT 1030 ever actually left. Nvidia didn't have a replacement for it with the 16-series, as the least-expensive and lowest-power card they offered was the 75 watt GTX 1650 for $150, so the 1030 stuck around.

It should be noted that this appears to be the DDR4 version though, which performs a lot worse than the standard GDDR5 version, getting around half the performance. And even the GDDR5 version only performs a little better than the integrated graphics in AMD's Ryzen APUs, so this card is well below even that level of performance.

InvalidError

Titan
While it may be slower than IGPs, AMD hasn't released refreshed desktop APUs in two years. People who need Ryzen 5000-series processing power but don't need high-end graphics still need something for video output to boot the system with.

$200 blah ahahaha
The desperation reeks.

A rx 580 8 gig should be considered entry level now. A 6 gb 1060 mayyyybe. Everything else is not worth the msrp money over a modern apu. These should be $200 at most. I paid $130 for my 580.

I saw someone trying to charge 900 for a 1660. Not even sc or ti. Greed rules the roost apparently.

Thank your local miner that wants money for nothing.

I will not touch msi or Asus in the future because if pure greed. I don't care if I have to wait an extra 3 years for a card or they offer top tier for $5. Greed should not be rewarded.

Last edited:

gorbehnare

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I'm using 1030 for my HTPC right now. I have a MiniITX i7 and an ITX i5. The issue is I got a 4K HDR TV and the older Intel can't output 4K at all (they were fine with 1080p). My only option is 1650, which can fit only in the i5 system, but I can't find one for reasonable price. There are literally no other single slot low profile card that can play 4K at all, so I have to literally throw away both of these systems and buy entirely new system, just to get an APU for 4K HDR playback.

The GT1030 isn't completely display adapter territory.

I have never owned one personally, but I have a 3200g w/ vega8 which is probably slightly worse GPU performance, and it is decent for indy/esports titles in all honestly. Its not a good GPU for $200, but its not horrible if gotten for the right price.

I'm using 1030 for my HTPC right now. I have a MiniITX i7 and an ITX i5. The issue is I got a 4K HDR TV and the older Intel can't output 4K at all (they were fine with 1080p). My only option is 1650, which can fit only in the i5 system, but I can't find one for reasonable price. There are literally no other single slot low profile card that can play 4K at all, so I have to literally throw away both of these systems and buy entirely new system, just to get an APU for 4K HDR playback.
This is exactly the use case that had me recommending the GT 1030 to people looking for a GPU for an SFF Office PC or Home Theater PC that has no iGPU or the iGPU is too slow for 4k60. If someone were only going to be using a 1080p display, a GT 710 would have been a sufficient "low cost" solution and I'm not even sure if the GDDR5 version can do 1440p without lagging, but I do know for certain that the GT 710 DDR4 version is very laggy at it's max resolution of 4k30Hz.

I'm regretting not grabbing a GT 1030 GDDR5 version when they were selling for $100.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
I love that the GT 1030 exists. They are handy cards, and I have one at my place in case of an emergency. Something going on with the PC and I suspect the GPU? GT 1030.

I don't get them for gaming rigs, and for a while, Intel video drivers really sucked. In another case, I just needed a way to display video on a 4k monitor. Sometimes you can run into all sorts of trouble with Intel GPUs especially, but the GT 1030 can do it.

They tend to not be power hungry and lots of them are low profile. Even for gaming, if you play older games, they might work just fine. The GT 1030 also uses like 35 Watts and I think they have an integrated video decoder. I especially like them for Linux boxes

I love that the GT 1030 exists. They are handy cards, and I have one at my place in case of an emergency. Something going on with the PC and I suspect the GPU? GT 1030.
If it were a cheap $30 card, that might be a reasonable use for it, but with an original MSRP of $80 (and current pricing often upward of double that), it's probably not a particularly good value to just use as a backup display adapter. Even when it was new, there were already lower-end cards like the GT 710 that could fulfill that role fairly well for less than half the price.

It might not have been a bad option for someone just wanting basic desktop graphics for a CPU lacking them though, and who was willing to pay a little more for something better than those older models. And maybe even for some low-end gaming, for someone trying to upgrade a prebuilt system with something like a 200 watt PSU that might have trouble supporting anything better.

InvalidError

Titan
If it were a cheap $30 card, that might be a reasonable use for it, but with an original MSRP of $80 (and current pricing often upward of double that), it's probably not a particularly good value to just use as a backup display adapter. Even when it was new, there were already lower-end cards like the GT 710 that could fulfill that role fairly well for less than half the price.
A GT710 won't have HDMI2 or DP1.4, which can be an issue for someone wanting to run more 4k60 monitors than his main GPU can handle or wants to spare the main GPU the extra 2-4GB/s of memory bandwidth needed to refresh each extra 4k60 output.

Mar 11, 2022
Love my new Gigabyte half height GT1030 PCIe Express 3.0 and w/2gb of GDDR5 ram.
After building my wife a new desktop i5-11400 w/GTX 1650 a couple months ago my next decision was what to do with her old Lenovo ThinkCentre M92 mini desktop. Since I enjoy playing Minecraft and Fortnite on my 2600X/RTX2060 I decided to see whether I could turn her old M92 into a decent (playable) Fortnite PC. Her old 2012 M92 that I purchased as a refurb in 2017 had a 3rd gen i5-3570, a half height 2014 PNY GT710 PCIe Express 2.0 w/2gb of GDDR3, 8gb DDR3 1333 dual channel ram & Win 10 on a 1.5tb HD. With Tweak 2 set to Game mode, best average Fortnite FPS I could manage was around a 55-60fps in Fortnite Performance Mode with med & high settings, and 3D resolution 60% on a 1920*1080 144hz monitor. Highest CPU temp during extended game play was 66deg and highest GPU temp was 53deg.

After installing the new GT1030, a used 240gb SSD w/fresh Win 10 Pro install, uprated front puller fan, added rear pusher fan, Tweak 2 Game Mode, Target Frame rate set to 120fps, Performance Mode w/same med & high settings, but with 100% 3D resolution instead of 60% the PC is always averaging 119-120fps during game play at 1920*1080. I’m thrilled, no hiccups, no stutters, no artifacts just smooth game play. Highest CPU temp during extended game play was 63deg and highest GPU temp was 62deg with a hot spot of 70deg.

According to my research using the GT1030 this set up has a 4% GPU bottleneck, whereas with the GT710 there was a 55% GPU bottleneck.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If they were still $80 a decent choice, I think I paid $89.99 for an EVGA B-Stock card many years ago. Passively cooled and has worked very well in my HTPC. Cheapest HDMI 2.1 card is way too much to justify (At least until Intel launches cards), so I'll probably just end up keeping this one permanently.

Reactions: cyrusfox