Gigabyte Reveals GeForce GTX 970 Twin Turbo 4 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Blah, blah, blah..they should've released that quite some time ago...not a year after the launch.
Moreover, the following is false:
"The EXCLUSIVE design pulls air in from both sides of the fan and forces it across the GPU and out the back of the case"
Bullshit - ASUS designed the Turbo GTX 970 with a blower that pulls air from both sides months ago. Gigabyte ain't doin' nothing new here.
"Gigabyte's fresh approach to the blower-style cooler will likely spark the attention of those looking to run SLI." Again, they're not the first and this is no innovation. Other than the looks, this is far from fresh.
https://www.asus.com/us/Graphics_Cards/TURBOGTX970OC4GD5/

I wonder how annoying it might be to some to have that power connector there. Might need extra slack in the cable to avoid a weird or just annoying placement. It also puts it more in alignment with over-sized CPU coolers which could further inflame any annoyance. No window? No problem I guess.

non-ref. blower type coolers have been around for a long time. last time i saw one was on HIS' radeon cards (and the asus turbo one).

blower type coolers are good for small cases and multigpu config. also good for high power-consuming gpu and cpu combo (e.g. an all amd air-cooled gaming rig ;)). only problem may be cooler's noise performance on load. IMO oems should make these 1.5 slotters for lower power consumers like gtx 970 and 960 cards (and 950TI/950TI ITX ver. :)).

Tiffany Monyata

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
"Gigabyte launched the GeForce GTX 970 Twin Turbo 3.5 GB", fixed that for you

Its funny so many people down voted you for a very truthful comment. I guess all the cheap people on here took offense. GTX 970 is a waste of money as soon as you go over the 3.5 GB of RAM stutter city and all those who think you its almost impossible to use 3.5GB of vRAM are morons and you can stop wasting internet storage for your comments. Facts are facts the GTX 970 is crap

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
"Gigabyte launched the GeForce GTX 970 Twin Turbo 3.5 GB", fixed that for you

Its funny so many people down voted you for a very truthful comment. I guess all the cheap people on here took offense. GTX 970 is a waste of money as soon as you go over the 3.5 GB of RAM stutter city and all those who think you its almost impossible to use 3.5GB of vRAM are morons and you can stop wasting internet storage for your comments. Facts are facts the GTX 970 is crap

The reason I know you don't own a GTX 970 is because if you did own one you wouldn't be writing such an uneducated, emotional comment as the one you managed to compose. This card is 4GB, not 3.5GB... Everybody who knows anything about the topic already understands what's going on, but your kind just doesn't seem to care to read anything about the topic and gain a basic level understanding. By the way, what game today uses more than 3.5 GB which produces "stutter fest"?

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I've got a 970 and have never experienced stutter. I game at 1080p and it's fine. I was dubious about buying it with the 3.5gb false advertising but I'm happy with the card now. It turned out to be a non issue for the end user. It just made me mistrust Nvidia even more than I already did.

Tiffany Monyata

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

You just proved you are a fool. And even more foolish to defend something you know nothing about. LOL you are legacy in the graphic card arena.

Learn your products or learn to read, articles are all over the web. 3.5GB of vRAM.
Here is a link for people that don't know how to do a google search: http://

Games that use over 3.5GB of RAM or 4GB for that much.

Max settings on these titles: PLUS MANY MORE GAMES

GTA V for PC
Act of Agression
Far Cry 4
Shadow of Mordor wants 6GB of VRAM for 1080p Ultra settings
Dying Light
Dragon Age: Inquisition
FIRESTRIKE EXTREME

:lol: I thought you were kidding before.. But now I can see you're being serious. You clearly have no real-world experience at all.

Tiffany Monyata

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

No facts to back up what you are saying? good work, way to waste more peoples time and being misleading. You should be banned.

No facts to back up what you are saying? good work, way to waste more peoples time and being misleading. You should be banned.
Why are you so rude?

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

You just proved you are a fool. And even more foolish to defend something you know nothing about. LOL you are legacy in the graphic card arena.

Learn your products or learn to read, articles are all over the web. 3.5GB of vRAM.
Here is a link for people that don't know how to do a google search: http://

Games that use over 3.5GB of RAM or 4GB for that much.

Max settings on these titles: PLUS MANY MORE GAMES

GTA V for PC
Act of Agression
Far Cry 4
Shadow of Mordor wants 6GB of VRAM for 1080p Ultra settings
Dying Light
Dragon Age: Inquisition
FIRESTRIKE EXTREME

Your kidding right?
I will basically say what the other guy said you show you have no real exp in the computer world. When you said they were legacy were you admitting they know a lot more than you because they have been around computers and actuallt understand how they work. This is not a personal attack by the way but when you spout out crap expect it back.

Now if you actually know how to setup a system and know how to setup game settings you would know that a card with 3.5GB memory will be fine 99% of the time in most games with high settings. What you need to know is which settings are memory hogs and maybe back them down one notch or whatever. this is not rocket science to figure out if that makes people like me old school then so be it. But we have been around the scene long enough to know enough to give out lessons to all the young pups.

So the next time you feel the need to lash out at someone that say's the hardware in question works fine for them then maybe listen to them because most likely they know enough to school yea.

I love how when the GTX 970 came out everyone thought it was the Bee's knees. And it was. And still is. Not as much since the 390 performs basically the same @1080p but has double the vram. That's a discussion for a different day..

My point is that if you weren't such a keyboard warrior and had a clue as to what you are talking about, you would have real-world experience. Evidently, you lack in such areas and to hide that you post all your URL's thinking that shows experience. A monkey could google something, slap in a link and then post it somewhere. Because they don't just let anyone have a website... Right?

Buy a GTX 970, test it (if you even know how). If you don't, just google it. You seem to be good at that. And then come back here, post your findings. Just tell me about all of the horrendous stutters you suffered :lol:

Oh none you say? Oh yeah, me neither. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I even have SLI 970's which should be worse. But guess what? It's not!!

Here's some URL's to make me look important like you:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/whiskers-sam.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/DQeCYDmDu-E/maxresdefault.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/No5k1D-5Azs/hqdefault.jpg

this is a good idea, for those wanting to run a pair in sli. I agree this type of cooler should have been released day 1, but the 970 will still be around for a while yet so it will be of use to someone. It will be interesting to see if the idea that the card will be cooler in sli is true, maybe a comparison review blower vs internally vented cooler in sli review???

Yes, let's keep it civil, or IInuyasha74, myself or another moderator are going to put the smack down on those of you who seem to want to resort to childish insults, and you know who you are. We can bash harder than you, so take it down about two notches. We give a little more leeway in these news articles, but let's keep it real, and in the realm of mature behavior.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
You are right this got out of hand a bit pretty fast if I stepped on anyone's hands sorry for that this after all a tech type site not facebook where it is a free for all there. Your site your rules and I am good with that.

As for the gtx 970 cards they are good cards and get the job done very well. Did Nvidia mishandle the release for them yes you bet they did. They should have been forth coming about the memory and the way it was setup on those cards yes they do have 4GB installed but it is the way it is installed and how it works and how nvidia tried to hide that fact that has everyone's shorts in a bunch.

Does it make they perform worse than the reviews showed at release no it does not. It does make it a driver headache for nvidia on how to use that extra 512MB memory without causing stutters. I think they should drop the idea of using it the same as the other 3.5GB installed and find a better use for it like maybe a holding tank for repeated textures kinda like a cache of sorts all done in the driver because I would assume it would be faster reading this small block of memory than havbing to go out to the system memory which will be already working with other tasks..

Back to this card it does look like a great card and the cooling looks like it will get the job done I am looking forward to a review of this card.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
sorry for typo's in last post could not find the edit button I assume if I was to go to the forum there might be the option there.

29pz24m.jpg

iPanda

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Well, PCs are definitely a case-by-case basis (no pun intended). I owned a GTX 970 and I did experience some unusual stutters on my 144hz monitor. Anything over 60hz, it became more prevalent. I adjusted things around but I honestly wasn't expecting to do that much adjusting with the 970. regardless of v-sync on/off. My 770 did not experience this, and my 960 doesn't do it either.

Could have been damaged in shipping etc who knows. Either-way, in my experience the card didn't quite perform to -my- liking. I am happy it works for others though. I like competition so I value the market getting saturated to help drop some prices :). The marketing fiasco was unfortunate and in the end, that is what affected me the most with Nvidia, though vendors stepped up to mitigate the financial losses on the consumer end.

Status
Not open for further replies.