[SOLVED] Gigabyte RTX 3060 GPU fans spinning fast after restart or few minutes after start up then one never stop

Sep 28, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have build new PC with the following spec:

CPU: i5 11400
Motherboard: B560M Aorus Pro
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Eagle 12Gb GPU
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Everything seems to be working fine except this problem with GPU fans. Just to mention, every component on this PC is new including graphic card.

This doesn`t happen on every restart or start up, just some of them.

It starts off by spinning very loud (can even hear some very lodu vibration coming from GPU, not sure if this is GPU enclosure of plastic propeller) for 10-15s and then one of the fans stops (from inside of tower) . The remaining fan continues to spin. On few occasions I was nervous that something could happen to this card and every time I was shutting down PC. On last incident I have left the pc running to see what happens.
Then later fan slowed down a tiny bit but still very fast and loud and continued to run for another 10 minutes before I turned off the PC. GPU temp at this time before shutting down was 31C and I have seen it dropping briefly to 29C. I have never noticed GPU card temperaturę being more Thank 40C.

Has anyone experienced the same problem before or have any suggestions ? GPU is new. Driver was updated to the latest one. GPU temp in idle is 40C so not high at all. BIOS was update too.

Please advise, not sure if this card is faulty or there is something wrong with my setup.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Hi @Koekieezz

Please see attached screenshot from GPU-Z first tab. let me know if you need picture from the remaining tabs.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6199/vyK77V.png
Try this step by step (read till end):
Hello everyone,

Everything seems to be working fine except this problem with GPU fans. Just to mention, every component on this PC is new including graphic card.

It starts off by spinning very loud (can even hear some very lodu vibration coming from GPU, not sure if this is GPU enclosure of plastic propeller) for 10-15s and then one of the fans stops (from inside of tower) . The remaining fan continues to spin. On few occasions I was nervous that something could happen to this card and every time I was shutting down PC. On last incident I have left the pc running to see what happens.
Then later fan slowed down a tiny bit but still very fast and loud and continued to run for another 10 minutes before I turned off the PC. GPU temp at this time before shutting down was 31C and I have seen it dropping briefly to 29C. I have never noticed GPU card temperaturę being more Thank 40C.

Has anyone experienced the same problem before or have any suggestions ? GPU is new. Driver was updated to the latest one. GPU temp in idle is 40C so not high at all. BIOS was update too.

Please advise, not sure if this card is faulty or there is something wrong with my setup.

Many thanks in advance
could you post a gpuz screenshot of your gpu (1st page)?

Hi @Koekieezz

Please see attached screenshot from GPU-Z first tab. let me know if you need picture from the remaining tabs.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6199/vyK77V.png
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (not on safe mode, normal windows, clean and do not restart).
  • Perform NVFlash your gpu bios
    Tutorial:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8maQUEbalQ
    Bios File: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/237247/237247

After that exit the cmd, and proceed the next step below

• Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset(skip if there is none):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

• Shut down your pc, and take off the ram and gpu, clean their contacts, and plug them back carefully, also for the gpu pcie power cabling, see the bottom picture below.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 28, 2021
Hi @Koekieezz

I had to go away this weekend but will be looking into this tomorrow when i get back.

Have you noticed anything suspicious on this screenshoot from GPU-Z that i provides earlier ?
And also have you seen this type of behavior from Nvidia cards before ?

Hi @Koekieezz

I had to go away this weekend but will be looking into this tomorrow when i get back.

Have you noticed anything suspicious on this screenshoot from GPU-Z that i provides earlier ?
And also have you seen this type of behavior from Nvidia cards before ?
yes i have seen this kind of behavior, somtimes doing all of what i listed also re plugging everything back in the correct order fixed it.

Sep 28, 2021
Good evening,

I have finally been able to look into this tonight.

I have done first few step, such as disconnected pc from internet, uninstall driver via DDU.
Then when using Cmd and command nvflash —list it telling me that “No adapters been found “

we have tried different version on Nvflash but it’s exactly the same.

Any thoughts on that?

Good evening,

I have finally been able to look into this tonight.

I have done first few step, such as disconnected pc from internet, uninstall driver via DDU.
Then when using Cmd and command nvflash —list it telling me that “No adapters been found “

we have tried different version on Nvflash but it’s exactly the same.

Any thoughts on that?
so no adapter found like this?
unknown.png

if so just skip this step and do the rest.. you could try nvflash later after doing the last step.

Sep 28, 2021
Thanks I will try now. I’m slightly worried about downloading wrong bios for GPU. On official Gigabyte website I can’t find latest bios for GPU.
Would it work if I can reload the same Bios that I saved from the card via GPU-Z ?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021
Great - thanks. I must to missed this link to tech power BIOS.
Just one question - once i load this new BIOS and follow all other steps and there is still no luck , would I be able to reload the original bios in order to return the card to seller ? Card is new.

Hello everyone,

Many thanks in advance
Test the GPU in another system to see if the issue remains. If it does, the. RMA it. There is NO reason to mess with the vBIOS and possibly brick a GPU that is under warranty.

Sep 28, 2021
@dotas1 Cheers - I do not have another system at home to test GPU . Should I return to seller ? If doing the work listed above would help then I am keen to do it but obviously I do not want to brick this GPU.

Sep 28, 2021
Good evening,

Agree, I really do not want to tinkle with card bios unnecessary. Graphic card is on warranty so it can go back. The only problem is we wont be able to get direct replacement as the stock of this particular card it out. We have been offered an alternative, not sure which card would be the best to choose. Any thoughts on that ?

1. Gigabyte Amd Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming Pro OC 8GB (3 Fans)
  2. Gigabyte Amd Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming OC 8GB (3 Fans)
  3. INNO3D Geforce RTX 3060 Twin X2 OC 12GB (2 Fans)
Additionally I have been looking at GPU-Z figures (sensor tab) and have noticed that the Fan 2 is the one which never stops. As soon I start up game, both fans kicks in Fan 1 Speed will be showing speed 77% and 1055 Rpm. Where at the same time Fan 2 Speed is also 77% but rpm is showing as 0. Few seconds later when Fan 1 stops his speed (%) and Rpm goes down to zero. Fan 2 is still spinning but GPU-Z is reporting speed 0% and rpm as 0. How bizzare is that. Not sure if these fans works independently or together. Perhaps this is a hint to this problem ?