[SOLVED] Gigabyte RTX 3070 hotspot temperature

Mar 26, 2022
Hello dear forum members,

I recently bought a new PC with a shiny i7-12700K and a rocking Gigabyte RTX 3070 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD-rev-20#kf).
I checked my temperatures using HWMonitor for the CPU and GPU.
Idle
CPU: 29 degrees (max 31)
GPU: 44 degrees (max 46)
GPU Hotspot: 55 degrees (max 57)

Gaming
CPU: below 70 degrees (for majority of cores)
GPU: 67 degrees (max 70)
GPU Hotspot: 78-79 degrees (max 80)

I noticed that while I was getting good temperatures for my CPU and GPU, the GPU hotspot have managed to reach 80.
There is enough information on the internet regarding what the GPU hotspot is, I just didn't find any answer/confirmation as to if its normal for it to get to 80 degrees while gaming.
If someone has any information to share from his/her experience it will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution

I recently bought a new PC with a shiny i7-12700K and a rocking Gigabyte RTX 3070 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD-rev-20#kf).
Idle

Gaming

I noticed that while I was getting good temperatures for my CPU and GPU, the GPU hotspot have managed to reach 80.
There is enough information on the internet regarding what the GPU hotspot is, I just didn't find any answer/confirmation as to if its normal for it to get to 80...

KyaraM

Admirable

Idle

Gaming

There is enough information on the internet regarding what the GPU hotspot is, I just didn't find any answer/confirmation as to if its normal for it to get to 80 degrees while gaming.
If someone has any information to share from his/her experience it will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!
A hotspot temperature of 10°C above average GPU die temp is completely normal and actually a good value. My 3070Ti shows the same behavior, with hotspot temps ~9-11°C above the regular temp. Unless it gets abnormally high (read, regular temp is at 70°C and hotspot at 90-100°C), I wouldn't worry. Hotspot also usually doesn't cause throttling.

The other temp you should look out for is the VRAM temperature, if shown. That can cause throttling.

In general, if you want to lower temps, you might consider undervolting. My card usually runs at sub-70°C normal and around 75°C for hotspot, with 70°C VRAM and an overclock to 2025MHz. I have a Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070ti.

Solution