Question Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC crashes to black screen and max fan RPM ?

Jan 4, 2021
Hey Guys,

Just today i bought an RTX 3080 ti, the Gigabyte Gaming OC edition.

Connected it all good, used 2x 6+2 PIN power connectors from PSU, used DDU prior to installing.

When i was playing Halo 2 MCC, both my monitors went black screen and the fans of my card just ramped up to full speed. I had to force shutdown the PC, it rebooted fine, but high RPM fan at login then settles down.

I had a RTX 3070 previously with no issues, wanted to upgrade cause i got a new 3440x1440 monitor, i benchmarked with Fur and no crashes, benchmarked Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, GTA V and it worked all well, just Halo 2 these 2 times.

Running another benchmark, but hoping you guys could shed some light or give advise,

Thanks.

Specs:

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi

i9 10900k

RTX 3080 Ti

HX1000 PSU

16GB Dominator Ram at 3600Mhz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Just today i bought an RTX 3080 ti, the Gigabyte Gaming OC edition.

Connected it all good, used 2x 6+2 PIN power connectors from PSU, used DDU prior to installing.

When i was playing Halo 2 MCC, both my monitors went black screen and the fans of my card just ramped up to full speed. I had to force shutdown the PC, it rebooted fine, but high RPM fan at login then settles down.

I had a RTX 3070 previously with no issues, wanted to upgrade cause i got a new 3440x1440 monitor, i benchmarked with Fur and no crashes, benchmarked Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, GTA V and it worked all well, just Halo 2 these 2 times.

Running another benchmark, but hoping you guys could shed some light or give advise,

Thanks.

Specs:

i9 10900k

HX1000 PSU

16GB Dominator Ram at 3600Mhz

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi MOBO
Try these:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU again (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 20 on yours) like this:
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Intel Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any. Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling in graphics settings like this and reboot:

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and manual tune the timing if you want), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:

frederickalliston

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 12, 2020
To fix this problem you are suggested to try the following solutions:-

1. Firstly, install the latest version of the Operating system on your computer device. Most of the issues are resolved just by upgrading the operating system.
  2. Also check whether the graphics card driver is correct or not, a faulty driver might be the main cause of this problem. Update the driver manually or with the help of software.
  3. Try using a restoration tool to repair all the internal damages to the PC. This is an effective way of fixing this issue. If any hardware damage is caused to the device get it also repaired as soon as possible.

Apr 23, 2021
I had the same issue with my Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterforce WB. Only way I could fix this was by voltage locking my card. I tried literally everything possible, and voltage locking was the only fix. The issue is a problem with Gigabyte's boost tables on their cards. Some cards with a lower quality chip (like we obviously got) can't handle some points on the voltage curve, therefore making it crash. If the core clock speed goes too high for the voltage to handle at some point, it will crash if you have a bad chip. Please don't listen to any of these basic suggestions that people are saying like "reinstall drivers" and all that stuff. Don't waste your time, it won't fix it. This issue messed with me for months, it would happen at least 3-4 times a week. After voltage locking, i haven't crashed in almost 2 months.

Oct 14, 2021
I had the same issue with my Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterforce WB. Only way I could fix this was by voltage locking my card. I tried literally everything possible, and voltage locking was the only fix. The issue is a problem with Gigabyte's boost tables on their cards. Some cards with a lower quality chip (like we obviously got) can't handle some points on the voltage curve, therefore making it crash. If the core clock speed goes too high for the voltage to handle at some point, it will crash if you have a bad chip. Please don't listen to any of these basic suggestions that people are saying like "reinstall drivers" and all that stuff. Don't waste your time, it won't fix it. This issue messed with me for months, it would happen at least 3-4 times a week. After voltage locking, i haven't crashed in almost 2 months.
Could you please explain what you excatly did?
I have now for 3 Month the 3080Ti Version of the card that you have and the same problem and it freaks me out because i did so so much and nothin worked.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS