[SOLVED] Gigabyte RX 5600 XT GAMING OC 6G FA0 bios update makes game crash/black screen/tdr failure/freezes

Nazea

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
so I just bought gigabyte RX 5600 XT GAMING 6G OC and update the GPU bios to FA0 as soon as I put it on my PC from gigabyte website: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R56XTGAMING-OC-6GD/support#support-dl-bios . When I start gaming, my game keeps crashing/freezes/etc after around 5-15min gaming. I tried reinstalling GPU driver and do some troubleshooting that suggested from the AMD forum, but nothing seems to work. I changed my GPU bios back to F02 and no crash/freeze when gaming. Some said that this might be happening because having low watt on power supply since the bios update changes the gpu tgp from 150w to 180w. I was hoping I can fully utilize the performance of my GPU. Did anyone get to work the GPU with the FA0 bios update?

Here are my specs:

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 (using amd stock cooler)
RAM : 2x8gb G.skill tridentz 3000mhz
Storage : HDD 1tb
PSU : Raidmax cobra 600w 80+ bronze
GPU : RX 5600 XT GAMING 6G OC
MOBO : Aorus B450 Pro

So for those who are having trouble with FA0 bios driver on gigabyte rx 5600 xt just change it back to F02 seems to stop the crash/freezes/black screen/etc

Solution
It is not guaranteed that bios will be stable with every card. Binning is a huge factor. AMD only released that bios because NVIDIA "dropped" the price on their 2060 Super so that it wouldn't get beaten out on price to performance. The stock bios it came with is the known stable bios.

Nazea

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
test with a better psu?

I dont have a better PSU with me right now. Did anyone get to work the FA0 bios driver on RX 5600 XT though? Because I don't want to spend on something that uncertain is the problem

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
It is not guaranteed that bios will be stable with every card. Binning is a huge factor. AMD only released that bios because NVIDIA "dropped" the price on their 2060 Super so that it wouldn't get beaten out on price to performance. The stock bios it came with is the known stable bios.

Solution
May 10, 2020
It wont help, i have the same issue with Seasonic Prime 750W platinum PSU. Gigabyte's FA0 bios is crap, either return the card or stay with F2 bios.
I stayed with F2.

TRENDING THREADS