[SOLVED] Gigabyte RX 5700 XT vs Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce

screwtape

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hi there,

I am about to buy a new PC and can't decide between these two cards. I know the 2070 super is only slightly faster than the 5700 XT but is the Nvidia card likely to have more longevity in the long run? Interested to hear back from people who have these cards. Thanks.

Solution
Slightly faster is is game dependent but overall yes it is faster. The bigger advantage to the 2070 Super is drivers, Nvidia drivers are typical good, AMD drivers not so much even though the 2020 ones have been a step above they are still quite buggy.

Speaking as a 5700 XT owner the only reason you should pick the 5700 XT over the 2070 Super is price IMO. The 5700 XT offers a much better price to performance ratio then teh 2070 Super.
Slightly faster is is game dependent but overall yes it is faster. The bigger advantage to the 2070 Super is drivers, Nvidia drivers are typical good, AMD drivers not so much even though the 2020 ones have been a step above they are still quite buggy.

Speaking as a 5700 XT owner the only reason you should pick the 5700 XT over the 2070 Super is price IMO. The 5700 XT offers a much better price to performance ratio then teh 2070 Super.

Solution

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have to disagree with the previous comment - AMD's drivers really got better last year, and since then, I barely had any issues with them (see in my signature, I have an Nvidia main build and we have an AMD GPU build in the living room). Bad AMD graphics drivers were absolutely true in 2018, not so much now. (Or maybe I don't play the games where there are issues?)

What is an advantage for the 2070 Super is the RTX support, which AMD will supposedly have in their next generation of GPUs, but not the current ones. You may not be into RTX, but future games will probably utilize it better, and maybe at some point it will have some function rather than being solely eye-candy. It's not that much more expensive than the RX 5700 XT where I live, so I'd get the Nvidia, but if it's a lot more expensive where you are, then the 5700 XT is the better option.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have to disagree with the previous comment - AMD's drivers really got better last year, and since then...
It's not that AMD's drivers are necessarily bad, but they progress slowly compared to both Intel and Nvidia. They simply aren't in the same position(financially) as the other 2.
They can't afford to send teams to all the different software developers and programmers to optimize drivers for their hardware like they can; they're more dependent on peoples' findings, dealing with patching them out as they come.

AMD may be the value leader currently, but Intel and Nvidia are the more reliable platforms. But that's not going to completely stop me from recommending Ryzen or Navi at all.
It's still a small percentage of people running into these seemingly unrecoverable driver issues.
I suspect it's a problem with hardware compatibility.

Reactions: ProgamerIV

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
It's not that AMD's drivers are necessarily bad, but they progress slowly compared to both Intel and Nvidia. They simply aren't in the same position(financially) as the other 2.
They can't afford to send teams to all the different software developers and programmers to optimize drivers for their hardware like they can; they're more dependent on peoples' findings, dealing with patching them out as they come.

AMD may be the value leader currently, but Intel and Nvidia are the more reliable platforms. But that's not going to completely stop me from recommending Ryzen or Navi at all.
It's still a small percentage of people running into these seemingly unrecoverable driver issues.
I suspect it's a problem with hardware compatibility.

Great point there. Still I think they improved very much, especially on the CPU front. I usually recommend Ryzen builds as opposed to Intel nowadays, especially since Zen 2. I've built many Ryzen builds recently, and they are absolutely fine, no problems, and what's most important is not only do I like them as a tech guy, but my clients who bought these systems are all very pleased with them. Monopoly doesn't do anything good for the market, and for that, even if Intel starts using all their (lots of) money right and beat AMD again by far in a year or two, at least they had to go out of their comfort zone and improve more on their products than they did for the last 7-8 years. For the same reason I'm hoping AMD gets better on the GPU side of things as well. For now, I'm happy I can recommend AMD builds, and not only as the not-so-good-but-cheap option.

Reactions: Phaaze88