[SOLVED] Gigabyte RX570 performing poorly in games

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
A few weeks ago, I upgraded from a GTX 1050 graphics card to an RX 570. Before I did anything, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driverswith DDU, installed my RX 570, installed the recommended drivers (18.12.3) and everything went fine. However, I have noticed that many games perform very poorly. ETS2's framerates have now dropped from ~80 FPS on the 1050 to 20 FPS at ultra settings @1080p, with constant stuttering. In BeamNGdrive, the framerates have barely improved from the GTX 1050 (about 2-5 FPS in most cases). CPU stays at constant 20% usage while the GPU is crying for help at constant 100% usage in both games. Did clean reinstalls for all games that performed poorly, and nothing changed. Tried other driver versions, nothing changed. CPU and GPU temps stay at ~55 degrees. I have also noticed that Vsync causes some problems. In Fortnite (yes, I have that game installed, don't judge me), Vsync destroyed my framerates on epic settings (15 FPS, constant stutter), while i get ~75-90 FPS without Vsync. I've turned off Vsync for both ETS2 and BeamNGdrive, but the framerates stayed the same. CSGO has the same problems, with the framerates dropping from about 165 FPS to a measly 45-50 FPS, with constant drops into the mid-30s. I tested CSGO on all maps, and it seems cs_agency and de_inferno perform the worst.

Detailed specs:
i5-3470 @3.2 GHz
12 GB DDR3-1600
Gigabyte AORUS RX 570
500W EVGA 80+ bronze PSU

Solution
Hi there,

I went from a HD 7950 to a Sapphire RX 570 and I am witnessing the same problem : consistant stutter in games and low FPS in comparison to the perfomance of the HD 7950.

My setup :
i5-3570K (stock clock 3.4 GHz)
16gb DDR3 1600Mhz Gskill Aegis
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard (BIOS updated to the latest F23b)
Sapphire RX 570 Pulse 8gb (Stock core and memory speed values)
2 HDD of 2 TB
1 SDD 120gb
Enermax 600w 80+gold psu (psu 2 weeks old) before I had a Bequiet! Efficient Power F1 500W (6 years old).
Running on windows 10.

I troubleshoot a lot of different options :
- Deactivating VR windows 10 options,
- Deactivating Vsync in games (GTA V, ETS 2, ...)
- Reinstalling drivers several times
- Even changed the psu from 500W...

Lutfij

Titan
How old is that PSU? You're advised to have a little more than 500W of power for the entire system when populating an RX570 in the system. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019

The PSU is about 3 months old.

It would be a little hard to list stuff like the chassis and the motherboard, since I built my system upon an older Lenovo ThinkCentre m92p system.

I have 2 HDDs in my system. One from Seagate (500GB, main OS drive), and one from WD (1TB, should be a WD blue, not sure anymore)

Completely forgot to list my OS, whoops. It's Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

The BIOS is up-to-date.

Jan 7, 2019
Hi there,

I went from a HD 7950 to a Sapphire RX 570 and I am witnessing the same problem : consistant stutter in games and low FPS in comparison to the perfomance of the HD 7950.

My setup :
i5-3570K (stock clock 3.4 GHz)
16gb DDR3 1600Mhz Gskill Aegis
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard (BIOS updated to the latest F23b)
Sapphire RX 570 Pulse 8gb (Stock core and memory speed values)
2 HDD of 2 TB
1 SDD 120gb
Enermax 600w 80+gold psu (psu 2 weeks old) before I had a Bequiet! Efficient Power F1 500W (6 years old).
Running on windows 10.

I troubleshoot a lot of different options :
- Deactivating VR windows 10 options,
- Deactivating Vsync in games (GTA V, ETS 2, ...)
- Reinstalling drivers several times
- Even changed the psu from 500W to 600W and there is still the same problem (both with 80+ gold standard).

On MSI afterburner, the watts consumption of the RX 570 does not exceed 100 watts. I thought it was low since its TDP is 150W, so I changed the PSU to see if that was the issue but i got the same results.

Recently, I read that when you put a more powerful gpu in your pc that the cpu has to work harder then before but my processor never hits 100% on any core (some times 90% but very rare, generaly 70 to 80 in demanding games in GTA V). The thing that baffles me the most is that no matter what graphics configuration I set, the results are the same. The Cpu is hitting the same percentages and i have the same fps drops, even on low... which i didn't have with a HD 7950.

ETS performs poorly with drops to 30 fps randomly ingame with the processor going to maximum 70% on one core and 20 to 30% on others. The graphics card is always at 100% of load.

People on the internet have been saying that the 3rd generation i5 does not bottleneck the RX 570 but I think that the i5 is indeed a bottleneck in our cases.

Solution

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019

For me, my RX 570 is always at 100% usage and the CPU only ever goes up to 20-30% usage on all cores, like I mentioned in the original post. Strangely, the GPU only ever draws about 20-30 watts of power according to MSI Afterburner stats, while the CPU has a normal power draw of 50-60 watts. I have no idea what is causing this.

Interestingly, disconnecting my second monitor made the frametimes a bit lower, but the FPS remain unchanged.

Jan 7, 2019
Your gpu power consumption is too low, you should be getting at least 100w.

I used the msi afterburner too but i don't know how accurate it is but 20 to 30 watts is too low which can explain Rx 570's low performance.

Try getting to your motherboeard bios and look for any options regarding your pcie slot. Try deactivating the integrated graphics card maybe there is a conflict there.

Another option would be to change the psu cable that your card is connected to if your psu has 2 pcie connectors. By the way your Rx 570 has a 6 or 8 pin connector or both of them? There are different variants of RX 570's with different connectors. Mine, being a Pulse model has an 8-pin connector.

Aside from what I suggested I dont know. Maybe you were not lucky and got a failing hardware... I hope not.

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019

I managed to force my RX 570 to work harder and "get over the barrier" by activating chill FPS and setting targeting FPS to 70 in AMD Settings, and it worked. Now i get constant 70 FPS at Ultra 1080p in ETS2 while getting around 60 watts power usage.

My card has one 8-pin power connector by the way.

I don't really think there was an iGPU problem, since everything had worked fine with the GTX 1050 (and even the GT 1030 that I had before that). Or maybe it's an AMD thingy, I don't know.

I'm gonna work on getting a solution for this problem, I'll keep y'all updated if I find anything.

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
I have found out that the VRAM on the GPU stays at a constant 300mHz clock speed, which is very odd, since the normal clock speed is about 1200mHz. I'm gonna try and adjust that somehow.

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
I punched my system and it fixed itself, now everything is fine, lol. Now clock speeds are fine and normal.

Sometimes getting angry at your PC and punching it really is the solution...

I will not add a solution yet, I'm still looking for a universal solution.

Before i punched my PC, I rolled back the AMD Adrenaline 2019 drivers to the 18.12.2 version, and that resolved the power usage problem (now stays at 50-80 watts while gaming), but did not fix the GPU and VRAM clock thing.

Edit: 1 day later, 1 PC crash, and the 300mHz clock problem has returned. I don't know if this is correct, but AMD WattMan resets every profile to default settings, which somehow gets the GPU and VRAM clocks stuck at 300mHz. This is getting really annoying, I'm considering selling my RX 570 for a GTX 1050Ti and switching back to nVidia.

Jan 7, 2019

I updated my RX 570 card to the 19.1.1 driver and the power usage got up to 130w while gaming which is better and I experience less stuttering while gaming.

I suggest you to update your card to the latest AMD driver but also update your motherboard BIOS. I read that your BIOS is up-to-date but maybe there are more recent versions even beta versions can do.

I had troubleshooting problems with my gpu until I updated my motherboard BIOS (version F23b for the Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard). Maybe there are compatibility issues if your bios dates from 2011 to 2014...

What motherboard do you have?

maximschneider85

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
One month and failed power supply later, everything works fine. The500W PSU I had in my PC suddenly died on me while playing Grand Theft Auto V.

I originally thought that the original PSU I bought was overkill for a GTX 1050 (and it probably was), but I've seen that my particular RX570 is not the most power efficient GPU I could have bought. Now the card works fine since I replaced the PSU for an even more overkill 700W unit from CoolerMaster. Though I've had some issues with the card artifacting and crashing in GTA V and beamNG.drive.