[SOLVED] Gigabyte RX5700 XT sparks where power goes in when PC shuts down. Any solutions?

Dec 16, 2020
Whenever I shut down the PC, sparks come out of the PCI power input of the GPU. Is there any way to solve this problem or is it a faulty GPU/PSU?

The PSU is a Corsair TX550M 80+ Gold by the way.

Solution
Check the pins and connectors. Physically inspect them. Occasionally it happens where the barb on the pin doesn't grab the connector, the connector is gouged or the barb has pushed in too far. When that happens, you plug the connector into the gpu and it looks fully seated and correct, but that one bad pin gets pushed backwards. Instead of that female fully surrounding the male gpu pin, it just sits tip-tip, which can/does create heat/spark under higher loads.

If the plastic is warped or melted, suggest replacement or at a minimum fixing the pin so it no longer pushes back out when seating.
Dec 16, 2020
Good PSU, but underpowered for the RX 5700 XT. You may want to address this in the future (AMD recommends at least 600w, 650w PSUs are fairly common).

That being said, make sure your PCIe power connectors are fully and firmly attached to the GPU.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt
Thanks for the tips, I checked and both connectors seem to be attached just fine. Do you recon this is due to a faulty GPU? I looked into the issue and others with similar issues on other GPUs tend to say that sparks occur due to a faulty GPU.

Also, I forgot to mention the PC and all of the parts are brand new, so I am suspecting it could just be faulty right out the factory.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check the pins and connectors. Physically inspect them. Occasionally it happens where the barb on the pin doesn't grab the connector, the connector is gouged or the barb has pushed in too far. When that happens, you plug the connector into the gpu and it looks fully seated and correct, but that one bad pin gets pushed backwards. Instead of that female fully surrounding the male gpu pin, it just sits tip-tip, which can/does create heat/spark under higher loads.

If the plastic is warped or melted, suggest replacement or at a minimum fixing the pin so it no longer pushes back out when seating.

Solution
The sparks are most likely either coming from the jack/plug interface or the card itself.

I would try and eliminate....or determine if it is the the jack/plug interface.

As was said...I would inspect the current jack and plug for anything odd.

Do you see anything odd?

If not....can you use a different plug?....is your PSU modular?