News Gigabyte Shrinks Cooler, Relocates 16-Pin Connector On Revised RTX 4090

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
That seems like a much more usable location for a power connector. Both for dealing with keeping the cable straight and easier to route and keep out of the way.

Reactions: ramntry

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
No picture with the new connector location? I can't foresee how it will work. I have a larger midtower and there is Zero room on the backside.

I'd just get a GPU bracket/brace or stand and a 160 Adapter if space is an issue.

slurmsmckenzie

Reputable
Apr 12, 2021
No picture with the new connector location? I can't foresee how it will work. I have a larger midtower and there is Zero room on the backside.

I'd just get a GPU bracket/brace or stand and a 160 Adapter if space is an issue.
I have a Torrent Compact and discovered that the Windforce was one of few AIB 4090s that would fit in that case without removing the front 180mm fans - looks like the V2 will no longer fit due to the new placement of the power connector. Doesn't bother me though as I'm not planning on getting a 4090 and I do think it is a better location for the power connector if space allows.

EDIT: I see the connector might not be right at the end of the card so maybe not too bad for front fans but given the stiffness of the connector might still be a bit of an issue for smaller cases.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I had to stare at the pictures for too long to see it myself. You can only really see it in picture 3 of 4 right above the 'e' in Geforce.
Ohhh I don't know why I thought they meant the opposite side. Maybe it was GN recent coverage of pins being on the backside of MBs. Well that's still far from ideal. For me it would hit the front 140's

Jun 2, 2023
The new location for the connector is shown well in the Twitter post referenced in the article, as well as on Gigabyte's product page for the card:
11.png

It's at the end of the PCB of the card facing further along the card, but that's only about 2/3 through the length of the card, because the last 1/3 of it has no PCB (like most 4090 designs) but only the heatsink, which in case of this new V2 Windforce has a giant cut out 1/2 the width and 1/2 the height of the cooler (which makes it 1/2 the width and the entire height of the heatsink), clearly allowing to gradually bend the connected power cable in whichever direction necessary, getting it out of the way of either the length of the card (like was possible in V1), or the width of the card (which is only possible with V2), or even both (bending the cable upwards) instead. With a vertical mount the latter would be "behind the card" hiding the cable from view altogether.

It looks like a great design, modulo the cable getting in the way of the airflow (which is probably not really an issue at all, not sure).

Of course, the most interesting question is whether clearly reduced bill of materials here will be passed along to the user, lowering the price (I highly doubt it), or at least allow us to see this in retail at the same price (hopefully?), and the second interesting question is whether it will be as cool and quiet as V1 or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: slurmsmckenzie

Papusan

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2016
Of course, the most interesting question is whether clearly reduced bill of materials here will be passed along to the user, lowering the price (I highly doubt it), or at least allow us to see this in retail at the same price (hopefully?), and the second interesting question is whether it will be as cool and quiet as V1 or not.
In short what Gigabut say... Less metal and shorter heat pipes don't make worse cooling capacity... Why not remove even more of the metal and use even shorther heatpipes?

Jun 2, 2023
2.x slots is OK for this class of card but just 1x HDMI 2.1 is not, unless you plan to upgrade in under 3 years (which I'm not, especially if I'm buying a 4090)