[SOLVED] Gigabyte SSD tool

Jan 19, 2022
I have a Gigabyte Aorus 7000s gen 4 m2 2TB ssd in my PlayStation 5. I wanted to check whether the firmware needed updating.

I went on the gigabyte website and downloaded/installed their ssd tool dashboard on to my laptop. I connected my m2 ssd with it fitted into a rog strix arion enclosure and formatted it to ntfs, but the ssd tool would not see it. Yet when I go into windows explorer I can see the m2 ssd is connected as well be able to format it.

I also have a WD SN850 m2 ssd that is normally fitted into the Strix enclosure and never have any issues with it. The WD ssd dashboard finds the Sn-850 drive every time when it is connected to my laptop.

Anyone else has issue with this Aorus ssd not being seen by the ssd tool dashboard?

Jan 19, 2022
The software can't detect M.2 drive properly, when connected via USB enclosure.
Connect M.2 drive directly to M.2 slot on motherboard.

I can't as I only have a laptop and external enclosure. I went on youtube and there is a video of someone connecting the same drive to an m2 to usb adapter, plugging it into his laptop and the drive being found by the ssd toolbox
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267SW9PbRWc

He is using a previous version of the ssd toolbox compared to the one I downloaded plus a different adapter to me. do I need to use a similar usb enclosure?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022
I got a reply from the Gigabyte e-support as I asked them the same question. They said connect it to a motherboard and do the firmware update that way.

the laptop I use is a MacBook Pro retina late 2013 which has boot camp on it. If I take the Aorus out of it’s heat sink, fit it to my laptop and install windows and try and do the firmware update that way, does an ssd firmware update cause all the data on the ssd to be wiped?

I got a reply from the Gigabyte e-support as I asked them the same question. They said connect it to a motherboard and do the firmware update that way.

the laptop I use is a MacBook Pro retina late 2013 which has boot camp on it. If I take the Aorus out of it’s heat sink, fit it to my laptop and install windows and try and do the firmware update that way, does an ssd firmware update cause all the data on the ssd to be wiped?

A firmware update should not affect any existent data.

Jan 19, 2022
A firmware update should not affect any existent data.

Have managed to update the firmware. Once the ssd was fitted into the laptop and windows installed the ssd toolbox recognised it, checked there was a firmware update and then updated it. It’s now back working in my PS5.

Reactions: lvt