GIGABYTE supported ram document confuses me

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018
so, i have been having issues with a pc i just built and i have no idea whats going on with it, i have tried just about everything... right now im looking into compatibility issues with the ram, but the documents for it i got off the motherboards store page from the GIGABYTE website has something that's confusing me

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-10#support-doc

my ram is corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 2x8GB 2400MHz (CMK16GX4M2A2400C16) and on the spreadsheet, it has sort of a greenish fill to the around the model number (i think thats a model number at least) can anyone tell me what it means? it has all the other boxes checked so it looks like its supported but i am not sure anymore

Solution
What makes you think it is a RAM issue? Typically, when there is a RAM issue the system wont boot. It could be something as simple as a corrupted driver since it happens with your GPUs. Have you tried using a display driver uninstaller? There could be a corruption and you need to do a clean uninstall to remove all of the drivers from the registry.

Use this DDU tool in safe mode and remove the old drivers. Then get the current drivers from Nvidia.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If that does not work, it may be your CPU and not your RAM. You have replaced everything but the CPU and it boots with the RAM.
What are your system specs? Which support page are you looking at? I suggest looking at the first sheet as you may be running the first bios which will RAM support will be limited. Your RAM is listed, but it does not support RAM in all the sockets. It says only 1 and 2 as 4 is not checked.

I suggest try one stick of RAM in each socket and see if you can get it to boot. If neither stick boots, then there may be an issue with the motherboard as that seems more likely than both sticks of RAM failing from the start. . Make sure you are fully inserting the DIMM as sometimes you will hear it "click", but the other side of the module is not fully seated.

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

Motherboard: x470 AROUS GAMING 7 WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6 GIG
Ram: Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 Gig 2400 MHz
hard drive: WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX750M

im looking at the second list, but the 2 look identical. it boots fine, the issue is that whenever i put any type of stress on the GPU it stops working and kicks me to desktop... i have tried 2 different graphics cards (the 1060 and another gigabyte 970 windforce), i swapped out the PSU, i even started out on a different X470 motherboard (MSI x470 gaming pro carbon), BIOS updates on both MB's and nothing seemed to fix it. this is kindof my last idea of what could be wrong with it

What makes you think it is a RAM issue? Typically, when there is a RAM issue the system wont boot. It could be something as simple as a corrupted driver since it happens with your GPUs. Have you tried using a display driver uninstaller? There could be a corruption and you need to do a clean uninstall to remove all of the drivers from the registry.

Use this DDU tool in safe mode and remove the old drivers. Then get the current drivers from Nvidia.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

If that does not work, it may be your CPU and not your RAM. You have replaced everything but the CPU and it boots with the RAM.

Solution

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

tried reinstalling windows countless times, sometimes using the drivers on the disks that came with the GPU and motherboard, and others just downloading the latest off the AMD and NVIDIA websites, have used DDU as well, but i always come back to the same point. i was doubting the ram because its both recognized by the system and i ran memtest over night one night, it scored a little over %300,000 and no errors, but hey... its the only thing i haven't physically replaced yet so you never know

pegasaurisrex

Proper
Jun 5, 2018

forgot to mention, tried that too... i returned my old cpu and motherboard and swapped them for new ones. i got the same model cpu but a different motehrboard