News Gigabyte Supports First-Gen Ryzen AF CPUs On X570 Motherboards

The 1200af and 1600af are not first-generation CPUs, period. They came out in 2020 and 2019 respectively, where actual first-generation CPUs came out in 2017.

The only thing they share with 1st gen CPUs is the name. They are fundamentally 2nd generation CPUs.

I would bet money that if you put a 1600af or a 1200af in any other brand of X570 is would also work, since these CPUs are just Ryzen 2000 in disguise, and all Ryzen 2000 CPUs are supported in X570.

Misleading title, misleading premise. 500-series motherboards supporting 1xxx-AF CPUs which are Zen+/Ryzen 2000 parts in everything but marketing name and pricing as acknowledged later on in the article does not constitute first-gen support in any way, shape or form.

I found that odd as well. The author goes into why these are second generation chips then proceeds to call them first generation chips in the title.
¯\(ツ)

Reactions: alextheblue
The title is indeed wierd, and AMD has confirmed that Ryzen 1600 AF is on 12nm node, and thus 2nd gen:

It said that on thier oficial website, under specification:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600

"NOTE: The specifications below reflect the Ryzen 5 1600 as originally launched. It has since been refreshed to OPN# YD1600BBAFBOX, which has identical specifications except that it is made on the 12nm manufacturing process, and features the low-profile Wraith Stealth cooler. "

Cheers!

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I think the problem is with AMD's name, not the article. It's not a first gen cpu, its a second gen, so the 1600F should be called something like Ryzen 5 2600e. They really need better people for their naming.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think the problem is with AMD's name, not the article. It's not a first gen cpu, its a second gen, so the 1600F should be called something like Ryzen 5 2600e. They really need better people for their naming.
I think to clarify, its Gigabyte that tweeted this. Nothing to do with AMD giving misleading information which I feel some of the comments here are leading toward. While I agree the naming could be better with the product, if the product is cheaper and just as good as the 2xxx series, I can't be bothered even if they gave it a Bulldozer model number.

InvalidError

Titan
While I agree the naming could be better with the product, if the product is cheaper and just as good as the 2xxx series, I can't be bothered even if they gave it a Bulldozer model number.
Mixing model family numbers causes completely unnecessary and trivially avoidable confusion and trouble.

If you label AM4 products with model names that resemble AM3 products too much, expect people to call tech support asking why their "FX4600" does not fit their AM3+ socket which is supposed to be compatible with FX4000-9000.