Gigabyte Takes GTX 1080 To The 'Xtreme'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

So am I.
The reverse spinning fan seems to work well with the 980Ti. I hope to get my hands on a review sample this summer.

Alex-Nigma

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
Praising the card before we know at least the clock rates? OMG this article screams "sponsored material"!

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

First off, we never post sponsored material ever.

Second, where in this article do you see my praising the new card in any way? The article simply relays the information we know about the card and adds context based on past cards from the Xtreme Gaming lineup. The only thing that can even be remotely associated with "praise" in this article is my reference to the past GPUs that I reviewed.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's a pretty tall order... Oculus Rift requires 3xUSB 3.0 + 1xUSB 2.0, and HDMI 1.3. Combined, that's a total theoretical bandwidth of greater than 25 Gbps. For comparison, that's more than an order of magnitude greater than the fastest wifi available. Although I imagine that the Rift isn't actually utilizing 100% of that bandwidth. But you also have to take into account that making it wireless would introduce latency, which is a big deal for VR.

It's possible, and if VR takes off I imagine it will happen someday, but... I wouldn't hold my breath.

I wouldn't want it anyway. I don't trust wireless well enough to hand over my VR experience into a wireless world. It's too unreliable.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

They dont use full USB3 bandwidth . they just state USB3 for usb3 bandwidth range I think not maximum ... (which is to say wont work with USB 2.0)

it can be anything between 60MB/s to 600MB/s

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Fair enough. Although if you were to have wireless requirements regarding being being within x distance and in line of sight of the antenna, and things like that, I feel like it has the potential to be pretty reliable. But that's just me speculating.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

actually I want it , I want to move fast , jump , run , play sport using VR , you cant do this with all the wires around.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

hopefully I'll be able to answer that for you.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

can you add 3 screens benchmarks to your GPU reviews ? 3x 1080p and 3x 1440p ???

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I am so glad I didn't jump on the band wagon of the FE when they are launched. It's a much better idea to get one of these cards with custom PCBs and super high grade components with much better fans/heatsinks.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
"Gigabyte said the three 3D Active fans"

All fans are 3D objects.

"...fan blade design tuned for air intake."

All fans are designed for air intake.

"...The fans blow air through an array of fins with an angular design."

All fan blades are angled designs.

Please don't parrot the manufacturer PR like this, it just sounds silly, especially on a site like toms.

Wanna bet it'll offer the same cooling as a more conventional design such as EVGA's ACX 3.0? Or the noise will be not so good, or the cost too high, or the clocks not so impressive. We've seen all of this before.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

An expensive new i7 for several hundred $? Or a nice, cheap, used 3930K like the one I bagged last week for 90 UKP, for which a new 32GB/2400 Corsair kit is only 115? (should arrive tomorrow) Sorry, couldn't resist a poke at BW-E's whacko pricing...

Status
Not open for further replies.