[SOLVED] Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master (Rev. 1.0) - Dead

Apr 9, 2022
Hello,

I'm having a bad day today. I booted up my computer this morning. I browsed the web for twenty minutes and went to the store for a while (10min) leaving the computer on. When I returned, I was already about to sit down at my desk when the computer shut down.

My setup is:

Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS MASTER Rev 1.0
Threadripper 3970X
2 x G.Skill Trident Z Neo, DDR4, 64 GB, 3600MHz, CL18 (F4-3600C18D-64GTZN)
Gigabyte 970GTX
Seasonic Prime TX 1000W 80 Plus Titanium

The motherboard appears to be completely dead. No rgb LED lights up, not even the small power button on the board.

I've tried:

I fired up the power supply itself by shorting the plug - the fan briefly starts up, which is like it's running but quickly stops probably without a load?
I took out the battery and put it back in after 30 minutes - nothing
I tried to do Qflash+, the button is dead.

So I'm left with taking everything apart and returning the board for warranty? Is there anything else I can try?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I fired up the power supply itself by shorting the plug - the fan briefly starts up, which is like it's running but quickly stops probably without a load?
The paperclip test is a flawed since it doesn't tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output, in it's current state. If you've tried the paperclip method and the device that's used to induce a load doesn't last as long or isn't powering up, then it's your PSU that's the culprit.

Might want to source a donor PSU that's reliably built and branded(akin to your Seasonic) that has at least 650W of power for the entire system's disposal to see if your system is revived.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The paperclip test is a flawed since it doesn't tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output, in it's current state. If you've tried the paperclip method and the device that's used to induce a load doesn't last as long or isn't powering up, then it's your PSU that's the culprit.

Might want to source a donor PSU that's reliably built and branded(akin to your Seasonic) that has at least 650W of power for the entire system's disposal to see if your system is revived.

Solution
Apr 9, 2022
End of story.

The motherboard blew up first. Two 12v capacitors were replaced. If not for that, I wouldn't have known that the power supply was also faulty and not holding voltages. I'm a little shocked because the hardware is worth quite a bit and it broke down so quickly. Especially I'm thinking about the brand Seasonic.