Jun 20, 2022
BIOS won't POST at all.

Specs:
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master rev1.1 mobo
Threadripper 3970X 32 core
Corsair 64GB 2x32
2x SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe

Issue:
I normally don't power down my machine, I just suspend to RAM. But over this weekend I had powered down. And yesterday morning it did not boot.

First thing I saw was debug code 64 which prompted me to clear CMOS and try. It didn't help, then I removed all USB devices and rebooted. That brought debug code F3 and boot process remained stuck at F3.

So I looked at recovery documentation downloaded the latest BIOS FC for my motherboard (rev 1.1 pro WiFi).

First I tried with all files including TRX4AOM1.FC extracted to thumb drive, I still got F3. Then I renamed the TRX4AOM1.FC to GIGABYTE.bin and tried this time I got F2 code. I let it be in F2 code for about 1 hour and since the code did not change I assumed it was stuck. So I rebooted and now no matter what I try I still get F3 code.

In addition to above, with GIGABYTE.bin and without USB drve, I have tried clearing CMOS by replacing the battery and removing every peripheral, plus doing CMOS clear and reset by power ON --> hold power button --> will power down --> then hold clear CMOS button --> simultaneously power ON the machine --> continue to hold clear CMOS button for 10 seconds. But I am still stuck at F3 which according to documentation means "Recovery firmware image is found."

Unless someone can share a tip I am thinking I should just get another non-gigabyte MOBO.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022
@MrLitschel Yes I did. And did it now again just to make sure. During BIOS update, assuming it happened, the PC started automatically & Q-Flash button flashed multiple number of times I let it be for about 2-3 min during which it displayed different debug codes. But finally it always settles down to F3 and Q-Flash stopped flashing. I let it be for about 3 more minutes then had to intervene, by shutting down, as there was no feedback

I must note I didn't remove the CPU during Q-Flash, not sure it's required/recommended but the manual says "Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed. The system will shut down upon completion.". Since the machine did not shutdown automatically I am not sure if I need to intervene or let it be and hope it moves from F3 to F4 (Recovery firmware image is loaded)

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
That is the important part if your using the Q-Flash Plus. You have to remove the CPU in order for it to update.

Have you tried just using the q-Flash Utility (Section 5-1-1) in the manual.

BTW, I have the same motherboard. If you can boot into windows, the @bios utility is the best way to go.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022
Ok this is going to sound incredibly stupid. Even though the debug code was F3 "Recovery firmware image is found." when I hooked the HDMI this time I saw the prompt to enter my FDE password.

So everything is fine so far. Booted normally and woke up from sleep too.

I guess the misleading thing was either the documentation in the manual for debug code or that the whole Q-Flash plus process is not properly explained in terms what is expected at each step. Very frustratingly I wasted last 30 hours on what seems like poor documentation.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Good to hear that you are up and running again. The documentation isn't as good as it could be, but you have to read all the different ways for before trying to update the bios. Personnelly, I prefer the @bios app that they have.