Gigabyte UEFI problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderedwater67

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
In short, I can't get my ODD or HDD to show up as UEFI options in boot manager and I've spent hours trying to do so.

They do show up as legacy however and if I set everything to UEFI only, my drives disappear and it says "No Bootable Device Found".

I'm trying to install Windows 7 x64 to a 4TB HDD and it's pointless if I can't boot windows in UEFI because I want my HDD to be one partition and formatted GPT.

The first time I tried to install windows it partitioned my HDD, I assume because it was using MBR.
I haven't formatted the HDD since so I also assume that's why it won't show as UEFI, but it doesn't explain the issue with my ODD, does it?

Anyway, I greatly appreciate any help on this subject. I've scoured the internet for help but to no avail. Most of what i found had people dealing with RAID setups and Ubuntu.

And one more thing. I used Q-flash to update my BIOS (with success) and the 512MB flash drive I used DID show up as UEFI in boot manager. And yes, I experienced the same problems both before and after I updated the BIOS.

Here is my hardware...

MOBO - GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 5 with UEFI DualBIOS

ODD - LG Black BH16NS40

HDD - WD BLACK WD4003FZEX 4TB 7200 RPM

CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150

RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 F3-2400C11Q-32GSR

Solution

Yes the OS files weren't set up right and couldn't be installed in UEFI mode, the board was fine the whole time. Once I made a GOOD USB windows installation everything worked fine. Call it a noob fail.
I would use RAID mode in order to use the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. You can run a single hard drive in RAID mode.

Driver from Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 downloads.

Intel SATA Preinstall driver
(For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Windows setup to read from USB thumb drive.

12.8.0.1016 0.40 MB 2013/10/22 Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

To install Windows 7 on GPT is simple; while installing from windows 7 DVD, and you get to the segment that you can create or delete partitions press "shift+F10" this will open a command prompt and you can use diskpart to convert to GPT

How to use DiskPart to create a GPT formatted drive:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297800

powderedwater67

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Thanks Calvin7, I'll try this and post back with the results.

But to be clear, you're saying that I don't have to use a boot option with the UEFI prefix and that I can just boot the legacy option given?

Boot Manager gives me 2 options to boot from:

P1: HL-DT-ST BD-RE (Disc Drive)
P0:WDC WD4003FZEX-00245A0 (Hard Drive)

I believed I needed a "UEFI: HL-DT-ST BD-RE" option or something like that. I don't want to install windows from USB if I can help it considering I already have the install dvd

powderedwater67

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
This is still a thing? My problem was solved a year ago, lol! It turned out the os files weren't properly setup to install in UEFI mode. So I put the files on a flash drive, set it up for UEFI mode and windows installed properly. Thanks for all the support guys. The mods can close this thread if they wish.

powderedwater67

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Yes the OS files weren't set up right and couldn't be installed in UEFI mode, the board was fine the whole time. Once I made a GOOD USB windows installation everything worked fine. Call it a noob fail.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.