Question Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X - black screen/psu problem?

Jul 18, 2019
Hello everyone.,

(I do not speak english well so sorry for my mistakes or nevermind)

I have a problem with my R9 280X grapghics card It happened several times since March and I dont know where is the problem,with the graphic card or power supply?
When I was playing a game (FC4/W3) the image on the monitor disappeared, since then for safety I am already playing nothing hah
When I surfed in the net the problem sometimes returned - now the card i doing well (only in net), recently it happened in June

Only a hard reset helped but now..now,by the PC turned off, I must disconnect powering the graphic card from the PSU for some time - then the graphic card is doing well (we will se how long hah)

Where can the problem be?
Lowering the clocking of clocks didn't help and I cannot inspect it on the second computer.
Temperatures are fine with stress

Thanks for any help!

My eq:
cpu: AMD FX 6300 3,6gHz -> 4,2gHz (turbo)
motherboard: asus m5a97 r2.0
graphic card: Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X
8 Gbs Ram PSU: SilentiumPC Deus M1 650W 2 x SSD discs

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Being as SilentiumPC are PSUs are not PSUs I've ever heard of, nor do they appear on any rigorous testing reviews that I can access, I would say upgrade your PSU to a good quality unit anyway.

But it certainly sounds like it could be a power problem - have you monitored temperatures under load too?

If you are using any overclock anywhere remove it.

Jul 18, 2019
,,SilentiumPc,, is an polish company,they are well,in terms of quality good as Corsair,BeQuiet and etc
(SilentiumPc is only known in Poland,I apologise that I didn't tell it before)

Temperatures are fine:
In net/etc : 35-50 degrees Celsius
In games: 50-80 degrees Celsius

So better to replace the PSU`s with the beginning?
For sure,I thought too,that the problem sounds like problem with power/energy

I can understand that the hard resest helped but later... it is odrinarily a strange problem nah

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Actually yes, I have just done some JonnyGURU research and found their first encounters with Silentium were quite good, not excellent like Seasonic ones usually are, but pretty good. How long have you had the PSU? Ultimately the shelf life of the PSU is probably lesser with usually a 5 year warranty. Also made by Sirfa I believe.

being as it is directly graphical issues you are facing, whilst a failing PSU can cause this, you'd jump on GPU first. I'd be swapping the GPU with another known working one (maybe from a friend if possible) to test. It's the removing from the PSU that strikes concerns.

I'd start with swapping GPU, then PSU. But depending on how long you've had the PSU, you may want to change that anyway.

Jul 18, 2019
I want to refresh a problem (?)
This time it looked like the typical problem.,
I played a game about the 1 hour and there was no problem.,
but before playing manually I placed fans of the card on the 90/95%.,
when I turned the game off,manually I placed fans of the card on the 45/50% and PC switched off!

Again,I switched on a computer and a fans from the card did not spin.,after the certain time a PC and card works well.
+ after that what I wrote,an announcement was shown ,, Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure ,,

Where after all can the problem be?..
I'm sorry that I'm asking again this same question

Thanks!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Have you followed the guidance in my last post my friend?
being as it is directly graphical issues you are facing, whilst a failing PSU can cause this, you'd jump on GPU first. I'd be swapping the GPU with another known working one (maybe from a friend if possible) to test.

If after this the problem is still there, swap the PSU.
Especially if it is 6 years old or so now, PSUs deteriorate, and I believe yours has a 5 year warranty.

Jul 18, 2019
I did not try with psu - it would be possible in a week

But I tried with the other card but it could not be better because this card was not strong or heavy for my PSU
(it was Gigabyte RX460,without the additional power supply)

And with this RX there was no problem in games or benchmark's.,but like I wrote,this card would be too weak for my psu

Jul 18, 2019
Okay,I'm really sorry for refreshing this topic and writing on the same things hah

But what happened today..it's just weird - but it's possible that problem can be with PCIe slot?..

I just watched how the PC was working and accidentally lightly I touched with the finger power cable card,and the image on the monitor disappeared as this way as earlier..

In two days I will have an other psu and I will se how is it working but I'm a little bit shocked what happened today

(it's starting becoming funny hah)