Gigabyte-x power psu

KungFuHindu

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hi guys

I'm having difficulty with my custom built pc.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H AMD 790GX Mobo and X-Power 600TD Psu the probem is nothing will turn on but the light to indicate the computer is turned on keeps flashing. I looked in the motherboard's manual to see what it was and it says it's in an S1 sleep state. any ideas on how to get my pc going?

cheers!

KungFuHindu

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H AMD 790GX (Mobo)
X-Power 600TD (Psu)
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core Black Edition 3.0ghz Socket AM2+ (CPU)
NZXT Lexa Blackline Midi Tower (Case)
Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator TwinX With Airflow Fan (RAM)
Samsung SpinPoint F1 RAID 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache-OEM (Hard drive)

@alexoiu yep I've done that as well.

Your board has many bios files available. http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2887. Find your cpu on the "cpu support" list. You may need to find an older am2 cpu to flash it before it will post with your new cpu. Your power supply is also low end, but I think the bios update is the more likely issue. Check craigslist for a used am2 cpu; you can sometimes find them for $10-15. Then try posting with it. If it works, go ahead and flash your bios to the last file listed. It will cover all previous bios updates. You must flash carefully. If you do it wrong, you could end up with a dead motherboard. If you have a spare power supply, try that first.

KungFuHindu

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Errm but the main issue is that the pc will not turn on, so there would be no way for me to get to the bios :(

No board will post if the cpu isn't recognized or the voltage requirements of the newer cpu don't fit the board. Hence my recommendations. Getting a used am2 cpu may be cheaper than returning the board or changing it. Intel made many chipsets for it's socket 775 cpus; the early boards won't even work with the last 775 cpus they made due to the voltage specs. You might find a cheap antec or corsair power supply on craigslist. I don't use low end brands like xpower. I have an antec 350w about 8 years old running my spare system. It still works flawlessly. One last thought. Reseat the ram. Some folks don't press hard enough to engage the clips and lock it down. One of your sticks may be a little loose. Good luck.

KungFuHindu

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
i don't think it's a power issue anymore i just had a look at my processor and some of the little needles are bent or missing, which may mean I have to get another one. :(