Gigabyte X170-Extreme ECC, Intel C236 Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malik 722

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
this board and z170x gaming 7 looks like the very same thing same layout,same features and same connectors.although a different paint scheme.but what really makes this board more pricey than gaming 7 aside from xeon support.

The Jedi

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
Yeah, you're a hardware reviewer Jacob. That is all the excuse you need to be on the bleeding edge with a Kaby Lake system and a 4K monitor with the graphics to drive it.

Good to read about this unique motherboard. However the lack of XMP is a dealbreaker for me. I think the Asus Sabertooth with the 5-year warranty vs. 3 would do just as fine. Kaby Lake is in my future anyway with that new Netflix DRM it makes available.

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
@Malik, two words - Ultra Durable. IF testing and reliability are important to you, C236 is the way to go. Otherwise, that Gaming 7 is a spitting image of this board.

@AndrewPong - This board might have been released a week or two before the SuperMicro. Here's Gigabyte's press release: http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1420

@The Jedi - Is it bad that I'm running a VM on my test rig to run some good ol fashioned Windows XP? If you guys think of something crazy to do on this thing, let me know!

A quote from the third page:

The AMD 970 data presents similar trends in the PCMark Home, Creative, and Work workloads, though the deltas are not as dramatic. The move to DDR4 and this Gigabyte X170-Extreme ECC shows a whopping 38% increase in memory bandwidth compared to the DDR3 implemented in the Gigabyte 970 Gaming-SLI sample running at similar frequencies.

The move to DDR4 has practically nothing to do with Intel's advantage in memory bandwidth. Intel simply has a better memory controller. They've had an advantage in this since Sandy Bridge and that's easily knowable since every Intel and AMD CPU review since Sandy with memory benchmarks demonstrates it with DDR3 and with DDR4.

DDR4 does not improve bandwidth over DDR3 at the same frequency when all else (within reason) is equal. It improves bandwidth by allowing higher frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.