Question GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING with RYZEN 3700X can't boot

Oct 15, 2019
Hello, i got a new build with motherboard GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING and CPU AMD RYZEN 7 3700x. My memory is G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 Black F4.
Problem is I can't boot to bios. When I try to boot I hear 1 long and 2 short beeps. The bios model is f41, which should be compatible with RYZEN 3700x.
When I remove the RAM I also cant boot but there is no sound.
I will soon try to use a different GPU, in case mine is faulty. Any ideas? Should I try to update the bios? How can I see if the GPU is recognized?

Actually, F42d is the latest BIOS version, HOWEVER, it is worth mentioning that you NEEDED to do all of the following BEFORE you updated to BIOS version F41, and if you did not I would recommend that you go back and flash version F31 and install the EC FW update tool as outlined below and on the BIOS update page, and then update to version F42d.

Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
  3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.

Oct 15, 2019
Actually I did not update to F41, the motherboard came with this BIOS pre-installed.

Actually, F42d is the latest BIOS version, HOWEVER, it is worth mentioning that you NEEDED to do all of the following BEFORE you updated to BIOS version F41, and if you did not I would recommend that you go back and flash version F31 and install the EC FW update tool as outlined below and on the BIOS update page, and then update to version F42d.

Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
  3. Due to BIOS ROM size limited, NO Bristol Ridge (AMD 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ X4 series) APU support.

If the BIOS came with version F41 preinstalled from the manufacturer, not the retailer (Because sometimes sellers will do this themselves, and there is no guarantee it's been done correctly), then it should be right and I'd try updating to version F42d, or try going back to F31. You actually might want to contact Gigabyte on this, because with the version you have installed it should be working unless the BIOS update sequence was not followed according to what is listed on the motherboard product page.

First though, I pull the CPU back out and make ABSOLUTELY certain there are no bent pins on the CPU.

Then, I'd do this, or you can try this FIRST, and if it doesn't work, THEN pull it apart to check for bent pins. Even if you think "well, that won't work", try it. You might be surprised. I could link you to many threads where it worked like magic for somebody who had tried everything including a CMOS reset using the jumper pins, and had no success.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Reactions: DMAN999
Oct 15, 2019
Ok, I think the problem is solved.
Turns out my GPU was the problem. I tried differend cables, monitors etc. The GPU was recognised from the system but I just couldn't get any output. So, I borrowed one from a friend and the pc worked just fine. I replaced my GPU with a new one and problem solved. I think the reason I couldn't boot is that Ryzen 3700x couldn't work with no output.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your answers guys.

Reactions: DMAN999

InvalidError

Titan
Yes, Ryzen CPUs won't work without a graphics card installed.
It should work fine without GPU... after setting up the BIOS for head-less operation, installing an OS that supports head-less operation and setting it up.

AMD could fairly easily just integrate a dumb VGA frame buffer device in CPUs for setup and troubleshooting - every modern GPU still has a legacy VGA core in it for backward compatibility. On modern fab process, a VGA core is likely small enough to fit in otherwise wasted IO die space.

TRENDING THREADS