Gigabyte X48-DQ6 C2Q 9550 Boot restart...

felipetga

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I´ve had this system for almost 8 years, running solid and smooth, 2 weeks ago my PSU died, so I got a new one, but after installing it the PC wont boot from any source, DVD, SSD, HD, PenDrive, I can enter the Bios, detect all the drive fine, adjust everything, like disabling everything but essential and when I restart it boots fine but the moment it tries to load OS from SSD or any other source it instantaneously restarts... I´ve been trying everuthing I can for the last 5 days, with no success...
All reading in BIOS seem fine...
System:
CM case, EVGA 430W PSU
C2Q Q9550
Zalman cooler,
8gb DDR2, 4x2 Corsair Dominator PC2-6400
Corsair SSD 120gb
Hitachi 2tb
Samsung DVDRW
EVGA Geforce GTX 750 1gb

Solution
Well worst case scenario it fried something on your motherboard. You said that it wont boot from any source, can you boot up to bios and plug your phone via usb to charge it(or other device that have indicator), if it works then usb works, have you set that boot primary is your USB (when you tried to boot from usb)?
Have you tried to boot from fat32 formatted?
Can you check your HDD on other PC with CrystalDiskInfo?
"The next thing to try is to clear the CMOS. Please follow these instructions exactly.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit."

I hope the PSU did not took any components together with it, as it went to hell/heaven.

I would first try to replace the BIOS battery, reset the BIOS (if it is not already reseted during battery exchange), reconfigure it (pay attention in AHCI) and then try to reboot normally.

felipetga

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yup, my OS is on the SSD, and its health is fine as shown in the Corsair SSD utility. The thing is that its not booting from any source... Ive removed all other Sata connected devices, changed its ports, even disabled ICH9R AHCI, and tried the 2Port SATA2 onboard chip to boot... and nothing...

Well worst case scenario it fried something on your motherboard. You said that it wont boot from any source, can you boot up to bios and plug your phone via usb to charge it(or other device that have indicator), if it works then usb works, have you set that boot primary is your USB (when you tried to boot from usb)?
Have you tried to boot from fat32 formatted?

Solution

felipetga

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Thank you for your repplies... but I tried everything you said... I´ve removed the mobo from case, cleaned it, havent seen anything that may indicate that the PSU fried it... Oh, and Ive installed a backup CPU, Celeron E3200, and same behavior... What I havent tried is test with another PSU, but I am out of spares... Now I am trying to reflah BIOS...

felipetga

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Sorry for taking your time guys... junt found a little melted IC or a i/o chip next one of the Realtek LAN PHYs... even disabling it on BIOS wont do... guess I´ll be looking for an used s775 mobo... Thanks!