[SOLVED] Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master vs MSI X570 Meg Ace

skeletorbro

Distinguished
May 17, 2012
I am looking to purchase one of these higher end motherboards to pair with a 5800x but am stuck between which one to go with. I have never used either brand as a mobo (my current gpu is MSI if that matters) so I have no real reference about which is better in terms of build quality, bios, software, etc. They both seem to review well, have similar features and slots, and are within a dollar of one another in terms of price. Any input from owners of either board would be great :)

Solution
IMHO if you're chasing some high memory overclocks then the MSI board would be the one to get since the highest memory overclock it supports out of the box is 4800MHz while Gigabyte's is at 4400 though that number is always with caveat's.
I think the number one caveat is you have to get a CPU that will let you run that memory speed with FCLK in sync with memory clock. That means an infinity fabric clock speed of 2400Mhz or 2200Mhz respectively, neither of which has been shown achievable on Ryzen 5000 CPU's yet.

The most anyone's getting is 3600 memory speed, or 1800Mhz FLCK that's in sync (and even that's taking a lot of tweaking, so no setting XMP to get it.) You want memory and FCLK to stay in sync to avoid the...

Lutfij

Titan
IMHO if you're chasing some high memory overclocks then the MSI board would be the one to get since the highest memory overclock it supports out of the box is 4800MHz while Gigabyte's is at 4400 though that number is always with caveat's.

That being said, what sort of taxation are you planning to put the board through? If it's ARGB peripheral connectivity I'd highly suggest you cross reference the ARGB/RGB peripherals with the connectors on the board's since Gigabyte has a habit of introducing unnecessary connectors and leading to more confusion for a newcomer builder.

Might want to list your proposed specs for us to see if you're overthinking going with an X570 when we now have access to B550 chipset.

I think the number one caveat is you have to get a CPU that will let you run that memory speed with FCLK in sync with memory clock. That means an infinity fabric clock speed of 2400Mhz or 2200Mhz respectively, neither of which has been shown achievable on Ryzen 5000 CPU's yet.

The most anyone's getting is 3600 memory speed, or 1800Mhz FLCK that's in sync (and even that's taking a lot of tweaking, so no setting XMP to get it.) You want memory and FCLK to stay in sync to avoid the, sometimes horrendous, latency hit it imposes.

MAYBE there will be improved AGESA's coming that better allow it...but I won't bet on it going above the 3800 memory speed (1900Mhz FCLK in sync) that AMD claims is possible.

Solution

skeletorbro

Distinguished
May 17, 2012

That being said, what sort of taxation are you planning to put the board through? If it's ARGB peripheral connectivity I'd highly suggest you cross reference the ARGB/RGB peripherals with the connectors on the board's since Gigabyte has a habit of introducing unnecessary connectors and leading to more confusion for a newcomer builder.

Might want to list your proposed specs for us to see if you're overthinking going with an X570 when we now have access to B550 chipset.

The current pieces of the build I have on hand now are a 5800x for the CPU and a Cooler Master H500M for the case. The GPU will be carried over from my old build and is a 2070 made by MSI. I came to these two boards as I wanted access to PCIE 4.0, 3 m.2 slots, and two front panel 3.0 usb headers as well as a usb c header. I also am putting a lot of aRGB into this build so having access to multiple connectors is a nice to have. Out of the boards that carried those features the Aorus Master and the MSI Meg Ace (and Unify) seemed to have the best reviews from what I could find. I am slightly leaning towards the MSI board as it is the same vendor as my GPU so it is one less software suite to worry about for rgb.

TRENDING THREADS