Question Gigabyte X570 Aorus PRO Chipset fan very very loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
Hey, while i was playing skyrim on my new ryzen 3rd gen pc i noticed what seemed to be some coil whine coming from my pc. So i go back to my desktop and i could still hear it. So my first thought was that it might be the aio pump but after unplugging the pump while at idle the noise persisted. So then i systematically went through every component, gpu, turning off all fans (including psu's), psu, etc. The only thing left was the chipset fan and when i put my finger on the fan to stop it...silence. So i found the culprit but i don't know what to do about it. I checked HWINFO and the chipset is running at 70c with the fan running at 3,700RPM. This is incredibly audible, so much so that i can still hear it with all my 9 fans turned up. It is very annoying, even when playing skyrim i can hear it (i use open back headphones, and my pc is under my desk). My guess was that it could be because of the GPU. I have a MSI 1080Ti gaming x trio which is a very long card and it completly obstructs the chipset fan. To see if that was the problem i swapped out the 1080ti for my old evga sc 750ti which is a single fan unit so it doesn't obstruct the fan in any way and yet still the fan is very audible. At this point i'm out of ideas, any suggestions?

My motherboard model is the Gigabyte X570 Aorus PRO (Non-WIFI).

So it begins.. chipset fan issues. Idk why in the world all the board manufacturers chose to bring back the chipset fans.

My only guess is to adjust the fan speed from within the BIOS. If that's not an option, then I'll just have to not recommend X570.

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
So it begins.. chipset fan issues. Idk why in the world all the board manufacturers chose to bring back the chipset fans.

My only guess is to adjust the fan speed from within the BIOS. If that's not an option, then I'll just have to not recommend X570.
Yeah apparently some of the top-end X570 boards use passive cooling for the chipset but those boards cost and arm and a leg :tearsofjoy:. I haven't checked the bios settings yet so I'll go do that real quick but I think you're right, they probably won't let you adjust the speed. I'll post an update in a little bit!

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
So I just went and checked and couldn't find anything regarding chipset fan control, unfortunately. So does this mean I'm just SOL?

This has to be some sort of bug or something because the fan always runs at 100% regardless of what I'm doing. Even when the system is posting the fan is running at 100%.

Aug 19, 2019
From the monitoring data, the X570's motherboard fan speed seems to have no clear relationship with the load. [The sixth picture is the motherboard fan speed]
m3snJK.png

UKickAss

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2013
So I looked over my motherboard BIOS version and it was two versions old (it was on version F3). I downloaded version F4i off the gigabyte support website for my motherboard and flashed the bios using Q-Flash. The patch notes for F4f says that they implemented three presets for the chipset fan. once I flashed the boi I go to check the smart fan section and there was now an option for the PCH fan. it was originally set the balanced I changed it to silent and booted the windows. I'm looking at HWINFO right now and the temp of the chipset at idle is at 73-76c now which went up around 5c from the balanced preset. On the plus side now, I can barely hear the fan. However, is it safe to have the chipset run this toasty at idle?

Along with that, interestingly, the PCH fan no longer shows up on HWINFO like it used to before I flashed the bios. Only chipset temps are shown now.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

dforrest

Honorable
Jan 31, 2018
I have the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X. The BIOS upgrades are not the same as you have listed for the AORUS PRO. None refer to profiles for the PCH fan. How can I be sure that mine is adjustable?

Status
Not open for further replies.