Question Gigabyte X570 Gaming X v1.0 - Keyboard & Mouse turn off in BIOS ?

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello all!

I have had this PC for a couple of years, it suddenly started BSODing two days ago (a few PCI errors). I do not overclock, I'm very minimal, everything is almost always updated with the latest drivers. I ended up having to reinstall Windows completely yesterday. Upon using a USB to reinstall on a clean, formatted drive Windows USB was getting prematurely disconnected causing further BSODs.

I held off, went into BIOS and found that the USB ports are powering my keyboard and mouse but I'm not able to use them after 2 seconds unless I plug them back in, which still only lasts two seconds. This happens no matter which USB port they get plugged in to. The keyboard sometimes works, however upon hitting 'enter' it's as if I'm pressing it twice. The USB is not functioning as it did. Note that I do not have Windows installed, the drive is clean.

Things I've done prior to finding out it may be the USB-
Beep tested the Mobo, memtest, chkdsk, sfc /scannow, multimeter tested my PSU.

Every test came back normal and seemingly perfect. What are my options here? After researching a bit I found that possible BIOS updates might fix this, but I'm deathly afraid that the USB functionally will interfere with the BIOS update. Any help is appreciated!

Specs-
Mobo: X570 Gaming X v1.0 (Bios v F4j)
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
RAM: 4x8g (32g) 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro
GPU: MSI 2070 Super Gaming Trio
PSU: Cougar 750W 80+ Gold

F4j was a Beta BIOS version, and isn't even listed anymore. You are WAY, WAY back on BIOS updates as the current version is F37 and I would highly recommend you update to that version before doing ANYTHING else. Don't try updating the BIOS using the desktop updater or even the Q-flash utility in the BIOS. Your board has Q-flash Plus so you can update using the Q-flash Plus USB port on the back of the board without the system even being powered on, which I'd recommend doing. Same as BIOS flashback.

After updating I would recommend that you do a hard reset of the BIOS, to ensure all settings and hardware tables are refreshed, then reconfigure any necessary personal preferences or settings in the BIOS such as fan profiles, etc.

If you are unable to update the BIOS, OR, if after updating and resetting the BIOS you still have the same problem, I'd try a different keyboard, then a different mouse. Also, make sure that in the BIOS you have FULL USB initialization enabled. Partial or no USB initialization may cause problems prior to Windows loading into memory. The BSOD problems are concerning though since those seemingly began out of the blue, but it's always possible Windows updated one of the drivers and it's not playing nice with the old BIOS version.

Using BIOS flashback SHOULD negate any concerns with the USB functionality but if it does not, then there is a problem with the board and the only resolution then would be an RMA if it is still under warranty or replacement if it is not.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
F4j was a Beta BIOS version, and isn't even listed anymore. You are WAY, WAY back on BIOS updates as the current version is F37 and I would highly recommend you update to that version before doing ANYTHING else. Don't try updating the BIOS using the desktop updater or even the Q-flash utility in the BIOS. Your board has Q-flash Plus so you can update using the Q-flash Plus USB port on the back of the board without the system even being powered on, which I'd recommend doing. Same as BIOS flashback.

After updating I would recommend that you do a hard reset of the BIOS, to ensure all settings and hardware tables are refreshed, then reconfigure any necessary personal preferences or settings in the BIOS such as fan profiles, etc.

If you are unable to update the BIOS, OR, if after updating and resetting the BIOS you still have the same problem, I'd try a different keyboard, then a different mouse. Also, make sure that in the BIOS you have FULL USB initialization enabled. Partial or no USB initialization may cause problems prior to Windows loading into memory. The BSOD problems are concerning though since those seemingly began out of the blue, but it's always possible Windows updated one of the drivers and it's not playing nice with the old BIOS version.

Using BIOS flashback SHOULD negate any concerns with the USB functionality but if it does not, then there is a problem with the board and the only resolution then would be an RMA if it is still under warranty or replacement if it is not.

Thank you for such a quick reply, I appreciate this so much. I've been wracking my brain for two days since it was so out of the blue and really needed to bounce everything off of someone. I figured it would likely be BIOS since it's been a while, I'm just always afraid to for some reason. I'll do that now and get back to this thread once things have settled!

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011

I have an update!

Swapped out a bunch of PSU cables for better quality ones. Updating the BIOS was successful. Also found out that one of my RAM was also dead so that was a contributing factor there too. BIOS functioning normally now, peripherals are working as intended. Thank you for your time and your help!

The ONLY thing I'm having an issue with now is I used Windows Media Creation for a bootable install and in the BIOS it's not reading it as an installation tool- I see the USB named as itself and a secondary boot option named "UEFI Partition 1". Typically it's one boot option. I've reformatted and reimaged but that didn't work- could there be a setting in BIOS preventing it from seeing the install as it should?

First of all, be VERY careful when swapping out PSU cables. They MUST have the same pinout as the cables the PSU came with so making sure they are either the exact same pinout at both ends OR that they are specifically intended for that specific PSU is imperative. Using cables that didn't come with or are intended for a certain PSU can result in letting out a whole bunch of "magic smoke". If you know what I mean?

As far as to the newer issues, what are you currently trying to do now? The USB ports are working normally now? Are you trying to reinstall Windows, as in, do a CLEAN install?

What Windows VERSION are you trying to install? 10? 11? What drive are you trying to install it on?

zalarra

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
First of all, be VERY careful when swapping out PSU cables. They MUST have the same pinout as the cables the PSU came with so making sure they are either the exact same pinout at both ends OR that they are specifically intended for that specific PSU is imperative. Using cables that didn't come with or are intended for a certain PSU can result in letting out a whole bunch of "magic smoke". If you know what I mean?

As far as to the newer issues, what are you currently trying to do now? The USB ports are working normally now? Are you trying to reinstall Windows, as in, do a CLEAN install?

What Windows VERSION are you trying to install? 10? 11? What drive are you trying to install it on?

Ah that makes sense, luckily they're different cables but for the same PSU just some extra I had. That's definitely a good thing to keep in mind!

My USBs are no longer dropping and kbm works perfectly in the BIOS, MUCH smoother than it was before. Beep is indicating no issues either after Flashing & removing that stick of RAM.

Right now I'm trying to install a clean Windows 10 on a freshly formatted Mushkin 1TB SSD - I unplugged my other drives to ensure it's just the USB and the SSD. It was throwing memory errors at me so I removed the 3rd stick of RAM and currently running fine with two sticks. I was able to get Windows to install. I know running with 3 is not ideal, but can it be done until I purchase a replacement stick?

So, here is the deal on the memory. And I know it's not going to be what you want to hear, but the chances are good that with the mentality of "until I purchase a replacement stick" there's a very good chance that you already have a mixed memory configuration that consists of multiple modules that did not ALL come together in ONE kit, regardless of whether they are the same model or not.

Please read section two titled "Mixed memory (Or the odd man out)" at the following link:

And this post, which addresses this question with some real world application and evidence as well:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

After reading both those sections, you should be able to most likely answer your own question regarding the memory PLUS you will almost certainly have at least a somewhat better understanding of your (And any) memory configuration. Reading my entire memory guide wouldn't hurt either, if it's something you care to know a bit more about. Written for the average person or layman, it's extremely easily digested unlike some out there that read like medical journal publications.