[SOLVED] Gigabyte X79UD3 is not supported by windows 11?

Eikonikos Eikon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
Hi guys, I have a motherboard gigabyte X79UD3.It doesn't have bios secureboot. I ran the check tool for Windows 11 and it says: error : Windows 11 cannot be installed. What should I do to install Windows 11? Gigabyte says that its motherboards support Windows 11. Is there any way to install it?

Solution
Gigabyte says that its motherboards support Windows 11.
Gigabyte states that ALL of their boards support Windows 11?
that is either a misprint or an absolutely false claim by Gigabyte, or maybe a mistake on your part.

that X79 is a chipset from 2011. i seriously doubt that 10 years ago Gigabyte was planning for Windows 11.
i would be sure that any page showing that Gigabyte boards support Windows 11 is only referring to new models.
Gigabyte states that ALL of their boards support Windows 11?
that is either a misprint or an absolutely false claim by Gigabyte, or maybe a mistake on your part.

that X79 is a chipset from 2011. i seriously doubt that 10 years ago Gigabyte was planning for Windows 11.
i would be sure that any page showing that Gigabyte boards support Windows 11 is only referring to new models.

Solution
Sure there are various workarounds to get past the install program but at this point its not worth the effort. I've tried Win11 (on an H97 4770S build) and it doesn't offer anything new to the average user. Unless you're planning on running some software that specifically requires TPM for security reasons, don't worry about upgrading, especially at this time. Next year, after its been finalized, I'm sure we'll see various articles and software patches and OEM ISO images that will allow you to install without any of the current hassles that we have to tolerate.

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd, a leading manufacturer of motherboards, graphics cards, and hardware solutions, announced that the BIOS of their series motherboards, including Intel® X299, C621, C232, C236, C246, 200, 300, 400, 500 lineups, as well as AMD TRX40, 300, 400, 500 motherboards are TPM 2.0 function ready, which can pass the upgraded Windows 11 OS. verification.
Source: https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1925
Not a word about X79. Plus the article only says about compatibility with TMP, not other requirements W11 might have.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Hi guys, I have a motherboard gigabyte X79UD3.It doesn't have bios secureboot. I ran the check tool for Windows 11 and it says: error : Windows 11 cannot be installed. What should I do to install Windows 11? Gigabyte says that its motherboards support Windows 11. Is there any way to install it?

That motherboard supports 3rd and 4th gen CPU's. It won't likely ever be on the Windows 11 compatibility list.

When Gigabyte said all their motherboards will support Windows 11, they most likely meant their current motherboards, not boards they sold 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Eikonikos Eikon

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
What is the workaround I should do to install Windows 11 to my old hardware? Will it have any problems if I install it? What kind of problems may it has if I bypass hardware requirements of Windows 11 and install it?