Question GIGABYTE X99 Designare EX (rev 1.0) motherboard issue

harshdadhania01

Honorable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi, all.
Greetings.

I have Gigabyte X99 Designare Ex (rev 1.0) motherboard. Recently I have came acorss some problem during main bios update and somehow I think the main bios is corrupted and now pc just goes into boot loops (only fans on/off loop, nothing else) and doesn't boot but one thing I want to mention here is when I cold boot (i mean after 7 or 8 hours of main power off), it boots using backup bios and everything works fine (no issues at all).

Now my main Question here is that as I have read on some gigabyte articles that when main bios gets corrupted then backup bios kicks in and recover (reflash) the main bios. But in my case after booting into backup bios, it does not recover main bios at all no matter how much time i shut down and reboot system but backup bios doesn't want to recover main bios automatically. I mean while booting pc with backup bios, it doesnt invoke the GIGABYTE UEFI DUAL BIOS user interface in which it should tell that "your main bios is corrupted and needs to recover......".

So I want to know that how can I recover main bios manually? is there any way to do it? or is there any way to force backup bios to reflash main bios automatically?

one more thing,
Q-flash plus method flashes both bios (main and backup, i mean if main bios is in working condition)? i m saying this because i think i am currently in main bios but i m not sure that whether i am currently on main bios or backup bios (i mean, i dont know which bios has been corrupted).

suppose, if i am in main bios then is there any way to recover backup bios?

one weird thing is that, when i try to shutdown the pc, it doesn't fully shutdown and all other components remains on. and also my motherboard bios showing wrong cpu temps (-1 celsius) and high voltages of dram, vrin, etc (like 2.8volts, which is too high).

i want to add one more thing, recently motherboard everytime tries to boot pc using backup bios and instead of main bios in spite of main bios is working flawlessly without any issues.

plz, help.
Thanks.
Warm regards.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You will need to instruct the BIOS to flash over the known working BIOS to the other chip. On another note, if your BIOS chip is physically corrupt you may need to replace it as opposed to copying over a BIOS version.

Q-Flash will flash the BIOS chip that is active, not the inactive chip. There should be an LED indicator on the board to tell you if you're on BIOS chip 1 or BIOS chip 2. Oddly enough I can't seem to find the LED's on the board that should be found on a board of this price tag and features to tell the end use which BIOS chip is active.
gigabyte-x99-designare-ex-motherboard.jpg

You should parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the age of the PSU and the version of your BIOS at the time of writing. Is the motherboard within warranty period?

harshdadhania01

Honorable
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the prompt reply.

CPU
: Intel i7 5930k stock
Motherboard : Gigabyte X99 designare Ex (rev 1.0)
RAM : Gskill Ripjaws V F4-2666C15Q-32GVR in quad-channel configuration(32GB). Running on 2666mhz (using xmp profile).
HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 3TB
SSD 1 : Samsung 850 pro 128GB (OS drive)
NVME SSD 2 : Samsung 970 evo plus m.2 250GB
GPU : Nvidia RTX 2070 Super from Gigabyte
PSU : Corsair AX1600i titanium certified
CASE : Corsair Carbide 400R

PSU is 1 year old.
Current BIOS version (at the time of writing) is F4.
Yes, the motherboard is still within the warranty period.