[SOLVED] Gigabyte x99 Ultra Gaming + LED Strips

Jan 22, 2019
Idk if its been discussed before so ill apologize in advance if it has; On the Gigabyte x99 Ultra Gaming motherboard it has a RGB header. I plan on using 2 16.4ft RGB strips for a project. Would i be able to connect both strips to the MOBO? I plan on cutting the 12v off the MOBO to wire in a separate 12v 20a PSU and leave just the "R,G,B" connected to the motherboard. Would this setup work or would i risk damaging something?

Solution
The motherboard WONT be used to power the LEDs, the 12v 20amp power supply will provide the power.
But from what I know, if you use the RGB pins from the RGB header only, and power the strips with the PSU, if you find the way that will be a big question, and the strips will light up, but you can't control the RGB. By the way I don't know how you power the strips with only one +12V pin from the PSU, there is not a ground wire connector, that means it is the open cycle.

If you want to finish this project, you will need a or two RGB hub controller(s), and don't use the RGB header from the MB.
Jan 22, 2019
The motherboard WONT be used to power the LEDs, the 12v 20amp power supply will provide the power. The header will JUST control the R G B which are grounds. Im not very electrical savvy so im not sure if supplying 12v and grounding from a different source will cause damage.

The motherboard WONT be used to power the LEDs, the 12v 20amp power supply will provide the power.
But from what I know, if you use the RGB pins from the RGB header only, and power the strips with the PSU, if you find the way that will be a big question, and the strips will light up, but you can't control the RGB. By the way I don't know how you power the strips with only one +12V pin from the PSU, there is not a ground wire connector, that means it is the open cycle.

If you want to finish this project, you will need a or two RGB hub controller(s), and don't use the RGB header from the MB.

Solution